ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help needed (again): Miro "destroyed" all my videos!

<< < (2/7) > >>

steeladept:
Yacht_boy beat me to it, but really all you need to do is reassociate the file types to the correct package.  It is a pain, but not all that uncommon after an uninstall.  Programmers miss things on occasion, and this is one of them.  Another way to do this in XP is to open Explorer (don't know for all those replacements, but I am pretty certain they have a similar feature) and then go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types and browse down to your file extension (.avi for example).  Once there click on the file extention and in the box below, click on the "Change" button by "Opens With:" (It may or may not have an entry there already).  Now just browse to the application executable that you want to open that file type with and it is associated.

This is basically the GUI interface to changing file types in the registry without the chance of screwing up the registry itself.  You still have to be careful to not screw up the file types too much, or program dependencies can get broken; but it won't screw up the registry.

jgpaiva:
It is quite simple to fix those associations, but i must say it's not right that the program broke all of those.
Also, i've already broke a few things by doing what steeladept mentioned. It's not that what he said isn't incorrect, it is. But if you don't do things the right way, you can get drawn in a sea of trouble.

Personally, i'd go for the "open with" method, and i'd never use any software from PCF. (Although it's pretty good that they took the time to explain how to get things right again  :Thmbsup:)

Curt:
Oh, how I wish I could address you all in Danish!

1) The problem is not the file associations, the problem is the file types.

I can right-click any video file and say "always open with KMP", and KMPLayer will open it and play it well, but that will not change the "perceived" file type; it will still be wrong (miro.1),
-  and the file will still just open Notebook when double-clicked.

I cannot use the answer from "Janet at PCF".

2) I am so far very much afraid that I will have to look further into the answers from Dirhael and steeladept, but I don't like it - "KISS" (Keep It Simple, Stupid), was invented for people like me!

But thanks anyway, all of you.

jgpaiva:
Curt: you mean it changed the extension of the file from .avi to .miro.1??

Dirhael:
Oh, how I wish I could address you all in Danish!

1) The problem is not the file associations, the problem is the file types.

I can right-click any video file and say "always open with KMP", and KMPLayer will open it and play it well, but that will not change the "perceived" file type; it will still be wrong (miro.1),
-  and the file will still just open Notebook when double-clicked.

I cannot use the answer from "Janet at PCF".

2) I am so far very much afraid that I will have to look further into the answers from Dirhael and steeladept, but I don't like it - "KISS" (Keep It Simple, Stupid), was invented for people like me!

But thanks anyway, all of you.
-Curt (September 06, 2007, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bare ta det på dansk du, er selv norsk så jeg tror nok det ska gå bra ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version