ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help needed (again): Miro "destroyed" all my videos!

(1/7) > >>

Curt:
Enough talking, reading and writing, now it was time to listen to some good music - and I couldn't!  :(

Yesterday I installed the new version of Miro, but it wouldn't open, so I removed it again, and went to sleep. Today I have come to realize that every common video type has been changed into miro.1, and I am utterly unable to open my 20 GB music videos!! - except for the DivX types. Ohh, am I frustrated right now!

Double-clicking will only open Notebook. Before trying something wild, which could make things even worse, I thought I would come here and ask you what to do. What do you think I should do - except for banging some heads at the Participatory Culture Foundation, the makers of Miro - ? Their FAQ and troubleshooting pages don't tell about this problem. Membership application for the Miro forum seems to be handled manually? I don't know, but I have not yet recieved any clearence. Miro has no dedicated support office, only some "feedback(at)pculture.org".

---
http://www.getmiro.com/ - but be warned...

Dirhael:
Well, here's what I would have tried:

- Uninstall Miro. Applications that change extensions in Windows most often leaves a backup copy of said extensions that gets restored when uninstalling.
- Try using the "Default programs" utility in Windows and try setting WMP as the default player for all supported filetypes.
- Try installing a new movie/music player, like KMPlayer, VideoLAN or perhaps GOM Player and let it take over all supported extensions.
- Shift-right-click the filetypes you're having problems with, and change the player under "Open width.."

Should the above fail, you could try to open regedit and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT locate the extensions you're having problems with (like .mp3, .mp4, .aac, .mpg etc.). Each of these keys should have at least two string values that are important here:

PerceivedType = Should be either video or audio, depending on the filetype.
Content Type = The files mime type. For instance, AVI files should have video/avi, MP3 should have audio/mpeg etc. Just google <file extension> + mime type and you should have no problems finding the correct ones.

Now this might not work seeing as there are other regkeys affecting this as well, but it could be worth a shot. I know how difficult this can be to fix, as not to long ago some application took over my .exe and .lnk extensions...but I finally got that sorted by taking a look over here :)

Carol Haynes:
Have you tried running your usual app manually and telling it to reset all its file type via the Options/Preferences dialogue?

Failing that there is a set of default filetype fixes on http://www.dougknox.com/ you may find something to help in that collection of registry fixers.

yacht_boy:
I happen to know the guys and gals at the PCF and forwarded your note along.  They're a particularly awesome group of people--look for a response of some sort soon.  I've already ribbed them for their cruddy forum management, hopefully they'll fix that soon

Jason

yacht_boy:
Got this message from Janet at PCF--I'm reposting here and have told Janet to swing by the forum since I didn't want to post her email addy without permission.

Jason

Jason - I am sorry you have had a bad experience - but I am pretty sure
this is all recoverable.

First - can you right-click on one of your music videos and select the
"Open With..." option.

Then choose the application you were previously using and check the
"Always use the selected program for this kind of file" box.

That should reset the default application for your files.

Then - in order to find out what happened to the Miro installation - can
you please look in your Temp directory (Documents and Settings\<you>\Local
Settings\Temp and send me the Miro.log file.

It is a hidden file so you may have to unhide it.  There are more detailed
instructions on this here.

https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/democracy/wiki/TestingDtv

Email me back and let me know how this goes,

Janet Dragojevic

ps - the approval process is manual for the forums, but it is checked
regularly and is only to prevent spam which was a huge problem on our old
forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version