ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

encrypting an already encrypted file

(1/2) > >>

Armando:
Hello...
I haven't found much on that subject (encrypting -- mistakenly or not... -- an already encrypted file).
Is it something bad to avoid? I'm specifically thinking of encrypting an allready encrypted Word files with another "encrypter" (TrueCrypt, AxCrypt, whatever...).

Thanks!

f0dder:
Shouldn't be any problems in doing this, but there shouldn't be much reason to do so anyway - use strong encryption in the first place. Some encryption apps support "chaining" of different ciphers, I guess the rationale is that if a specific attack is found against a cipher, it's hoped that this attack can't be used for other ciphers.

Armando:
I see... Thank you f0dder.
(Even if I logically saw no reason why would some data corruption occur, I was more or less worried that it might happen...).

CWuestefeld:
I can't imagine this causing any problems, but you're not going to buy yourself much security, either (I assume you're not trying to hide the plans to a nuclear warhead!).

As a matter of fact, TrueCrypt has a built-in feature that chains multiple layers of encryption, if that's what you want.

Armando:
 ;D

I actually only got worried that using AxCrypt on a couple of already encrypted files (using one of MS Word's 2003 advanced encryption option) could potentially be harmful.... I'm not trying to hide any secret plans to hack into Mouser's computer and steel farr's source code...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version