ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AOL active virus shield fails to update - is it just me?

<< < (2/5) > >>

nudone:
the AOL mcafee suite is only available for US residents (requires zip code, UK residents have to pay for the same product).

so AVG here i come.

lanux128:
i was about to say that you must be a brave man to stick with AOL after the Kaspersky debacle but thankfully AOL shot themselves in the foot.. :)

xyme:
I fixed it.

Since I'm quite fond of my free legal Kaspersky (AOL) Scanner, i looked for a workaround, and it looks like i found it.

Close the scanner.
Start Notepad, and open
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\AVP6\Data\aol-updcfg.xml

This is the file containing the update servers.
Remove the lines for the aol servers, it should be the first two in the list,
something like http://downloads.newaol.com, it definitely has aol in the address.
Leave all the kaspersky servers in the list.
Save the file.
Restart the scanner.

Mine updated perfectly afterwards.

lanux128:
cool workaround, xyme! :Thmbsup: and welcome to the forums.. :)

wreckedcarzz:
AOL has stopped its Active Virus Shield service (it is now "McAfee SecurityCenter provided by AOL")...a couple days ago I went to try it and now McAfee hosts it...and its crap IMO (not that is wasn't before, but now its worse)

Not sure if you can jury-rig it or not, but if you can, go for it! The McAfee stuff dropped my computer performance to about 30-40% of what it should be, so hold out as long as you can! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version