ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AOL active virus shield fails to update - is it just me?

(1/5) > >>

nudone:
is anyone else having problems with the AOL active virus shield - the free thing they were generously giving away a while back.

mine hasn't updated correctly since last saturday (or friday). it's failing on more than one machine.

i know that AOL are no longer providing this anti-virus software but i didn't expect it to stop updating - i wonder if kaspersky are no longer supporting the virus definitions or something.

anyone else having trouble - anyone know of a way to get it to update correctly?

ta

lanux128:
most probably Kaspersky plugged the plug since they're not the preferred partner anymore.. or maybe McAfee is modifying the program to retrieve updates from their servers. anyway, i'm having the same problems too but i'm not waiting to find out.. i'm now recommending AVG Free to everyone..  :)

btw, i'd like to quote you from the other thread.. :)
if the kaspersky version suddenly stopped updating properly then that wouldn't be too much fun but i doubt that they can do that.
-nudone (August 12, 2007, 02:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

nudone:
well, i did doubt that they could because i assumed that the active virus shield program would just be a rebranded kaspersky product - if all it uses is the kaspersky virus definitions then i'd expect it to keep updating.

it seems i was foolish to assume they'd be so generous to allow it to keep running - not a good business model i suppose is it.

i'm going to try the AOL mcafee thing instead of avg - i'm curious as to what it's like.

Dirhael:
Kaspersky doesn't really have anything to do with the lack of updates, since AOL several versions back moved all updates to their own (AOL) servers. As such, Kaspersky doesn't really have anything to say in the matter.

nudone:
Kaspersky doesn't really have anything to do with the lack of updates, since AOL several versions back moved all updates to their own (AOL) servers. As such, Kaspersky doesn't really have anything to say in the matter.
-Dirhael (September 05, 2007, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

i've only just noticed today where the updates where coming from - yep, it's an AOL address.

oh well, it was good whilst it lasted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version