ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What would you consider your biggest waste of time project?

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
If i can keep to 50% the projects that fall into this category then i'm having a good year.  :-\

I find that projects are like infections -- the best defense is to kill the idea as soon as i get it.. If i linger too much on it I will feel compelled to devote substantial time to implementing it until i can let go of it.

TPReal:
On the other hand, some of those "hey it would be fun to have a program that does X" turned out useful, like HTTPJupiter, TPCube and TPXonix that I posted as a C++Builder Contest entries, and the work paid off. And now HTTPJupiter is probably most useful of my programs for me.
And I don't like killing ideas, they return in my nightmares :o

Lashiec:
- A Brainfuck! compiler
-TPReal (September 18, 2007, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

OH, my! Now you were really amused to do that ;D

SkyIDE:
Well I recently started a different project which I announced over here, a toolbar/launcher like program until I got stuck into a section that I simlpy don't have a clue how it works. Why does MS make things so complicated for something as retrieving a bitmap of an icon! I gave up as I started spending way too much time on it...

It should be VERY simple, just return an IMAGE object or similar which I can simply assign to something but noooo, I have to go through some code rituals which I don't understand "why?"

f0dder:
It should be VERY simple, just return an IMAGE object or similar which I can simply assign to something but noooo, I have to go through some code rituals which I don't understand "why?"
-SkyIDE (September 20, 2007, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
To understand some parts of the win32 API, you have to remember it was based on the win16 API... back then memory was scarce, and we didn't have x86 paging to help us manage memory, thus you had to "lock" and "unlock" memory, and "unlocked" objects could thus be moved around in memory... some of that also applies to all the imaging stuff, having to select things into contexts et cetera.

Yes, it could all be done simpler today, but we're stuck with legacy. And it's not that bad once you get the hang of it :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version