ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What would you consider your biggest waste of time project?

(1/2) > >>

app103:
This is not about code that you may have written for SomeCompany Inc.

And it's not about code for a project that you eventually released to the public.

This is about code that you slaved away with night after night, till the wee hours of the morning, losing many hours of sleep. Code that was of no interest to anyone in the world but you, at that time. Something you became totally obsessed over for reasons that may (or may not) be only known to you.

We have all had projects that have made others ask the question "why?", but have you ever spent too long on something that made you ask yourself "why?" at the end?

So what "probably-shouldn't-exist" code have you wasted way too much time on?  :tellme:

cranioscopical:
I have a program that makes me appear here as cranioscopical and make ill-advised comments.

The code itself was trivial, but it took many, many years to be this idiotic.

app103:
I had this friend that was staying at my house for awhile. She had an odd hobby: she stole magnets off cars in the middle of the night. (actually, she had a lot of odd hobbies)

She had a huge box full of them at my place and many more boxes of them at her mom's house.

I started writing an application for her to keep track of what she had in her collection. (she had no idea I was doing this)

If I had finished it, it would have been a lot of work for an application usable by only a single person (her), and I wasn't even sure she would want, like, or use it. But I kept working on it any way...like a crazy woman.

I was out of my mind.

I used VB 6.  :-[

I had no internet for about a week.  :o

I was in a lot of pain with a leg injury and couldn't walk.  :(

I was giggling the whole time like I had snapped.  ;D

Lucky for me I got my internet back and snapped out of it and stopped working on that project before it went too far. It was also the last time I ever did anything in VB 6.

me - internet = insanity

Lashiec:
I wonder if app's friend will be... ;D

The closest thing to this is me trying to optimize and solve every simple bug (most of them related to look 'n' feel) in my old programs for the university. One of the first I did (Pascal) was this one who had like 20 functions in there, and three of four have two nested functions as well, but not your usual function with two or three lines, no, actually it was like a whole other program in there. So one weekend I was browsing through all code and I found this sucker, and I said to me: "cleanup time". The whole weekend was spent there, rewriting almost everything, and fixing every single annoyance to work like it should. The program did exactly the same as before, but the code was understandable and it was quite easy to modify it after this, no need to read the whole source to find out what the hell it was doing.

So there you have, code that was of importance to me, but the rest of the world won't care much about it.

TPReal:
Most of my programs are totally useless :D I write them just because an idea comes to my mind, and no one ever knows about them. For instance:
- A program to change images into text, somewhat similar to mouser's Unicode Image Maker
- A program that makes you mouse pointer behave as if it was attached on a spring
- A dirty helper for on-line game The Crims
- A program to encode and decode messages using an Enigma-like algorithm
- A program to browse all windows you have open (including those invisible, and windows' children like panels, buttons, ...)
- A Brainfuck! compiler
And many other, many of them unfinished, and all of them abandoned. But I try not to refer to them as a waste of time, but rather as my programming playground :)
The problem is that I'm 22 now and I still make more and more of them...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version