ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera - new alpha version brings untold pleasures...or something like that.

<< < (7/11) > >>

urlwolf:
Yes, silverlight is supported - the problem is many silverlight demos use browser sniffing so it looks like it doesn't work...

jgpaiva: the inline find is a known bug that is targetted for fixing, so it will once again work out of the box.

For an alpha it is very solid - make sure you don't install over an old profile (it won't by default) and you are good to go.

For those interested in performance, I made a summary, mostly aimed at comparison with 9.x focussed on Web 2ish peformance but threw other browsers into the mix:

http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_test/

There is a lot to digest in the changelogs. For developers, there is a TON of cool new technology to play with, and some stuff like using SVG just as any other image format that is long overdue.
-nontroppo (September 06, 2007, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think one more reason to support opera is that they are definitely head and shoulders the rest in one thing: innovation. I want more innovation, so I support them. This is just my philosophy, but overall I think the speed/integration of Opera wins over the flexibility of FF.

In fact FF tends to copy Opera most of the time. Plugin authors do get very creative, but managing all plugins is a bit of a hell.

Definitely, Opera + a plugin system would be crazy good.

nontroppo:
oops, my URL was borked: http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_tests/

nontroppo:
Having just looked at the adblock plus thread - one nice thing about 9.5 is that you can use site-specific preferences to override the content filter. This means I can block ads in general, but enable them for sites I want to support.

The content blocker in 9.5 will also let you know when your URL patterns match JS and CSS files too, which is valuable feedback when blocking i.e. contextual text ads

hpearce:
Hey nontroppo .... fancy seeing you here  ;)

I miss the View Bar .... the speed is impressive.... especially for the mail retrieval now.

justice:
am almost sure the login page on this forum was loaded before i pressed the login button, but that can't be lol. it's so quick, all the rendering is instant, except for some images you'd think all pages are loaded from the harddrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version