ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera - new alpha version brings untold pleasures...or something like that.

<< < (5/11) > >>

Josh:
I can understand the reasons behind not implementing an extension or plugin system (security), but come on. In this day and age, where a browser is a very personal piece of software, why not truly allow users to customize the browser to their likings? I am a huge opera fan, I love it, however it is lacking in several departments which could be fixed by allowing existing solutions to be incorporated into the program. Opera tries to simplify this by incorporating a VERY BASIC version of many features, often leaving much to be desired (torrent support anyone?), and as such they can claim that "Yes, we can do this". This is all well and good if they wish to remain a niche browser. However, I think opera would want to expand their market share. Yes, they have the cell market cornered, but the desktop market leaves a lot to be desired.

I pray for the day that I can use roboform, and various other programs I've purchased, with the opera, however until this day comes, I have to avoid opera. I need to be able to grow my browser as I DEEM FIT, not as the developers deem fit for me to do so.

KenR:
I can understand the reasons behind not implementing an extension or plugin system (security), but come on. In this day and age, where a browser is a very personal piece of software, why not truly allow users to customize the browser to their likings? I am a huge opera fan, I love it, however it is lacking in several departments which could be fixed by allowing existing solutions to be incorporated into the program. Opera tries to simplify this by incorporating a VERY BASIC version of many features, often leaving much to be desired (torrent support anyone?), and as such they can claim that "Yes, we can do this". This is all well and good if they wish to remain a niche browser. However, I think opera would want to expand their market share. Yes, they have the cell market cornered, but the desktop market leaves a lot to be desired.

I pray for the day that I can use roboform, and various other programs I've purchased, with the opera, however until this day comes, I have to avoid opera. I need to be able to grow my browser as I DEEM FIT, not as the developers deem fit for me to do so.
-Josh (September 04, 2007, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto! Well-said Josh.

justice:
eh? it's perfectly possible to use your choice of mail client, irc client, torrent software etc with opera as you can disable these components and set defaults for protocol handlers etc.
That doesn't go for roboform but for example download managers, mirc, thunderbird, outlook, utorrent etc work fine with opera.

Even Keepass works, by setting a autotext (username, tab, password).

No its not perfect but you'd do yourself a disservice by skipping such a great software product without trying it because one piece of software is not supported, maybe write to roboform?

Josh:
Thats just it, the programs you mention arent designed to be INCORPORATED into the browser, roboform is. Opera decided to add torrent support, and by doing so, they followed their track record of adding a feature and leaving it done half-assed. The wand has been a part of opera for years, and it hasnt changed with a very minor exception, over these years. My biggest problem with Opera ASA is that they put in features they feel like adding, leaving the user with the choice of "Use what we put in there, or nothing at all".

Again, a browser is a very personal piece of software, you should be able to customize it as such.

Dirhael:
I have to say, I don't agree with you regarding what you wrote in that last post Josh. The bittorrent support works, even if there isn't a lot of options. Should you not like it, there is nothing stopping you from using whatever client you want to. The same goes for IRC, E-mail and everything else.
Saying that Opera Software have an attitude in the area of "Use what we put in there, or nothing at all" is patently false, seeing as outside of the wand you have always been free to choose whatever alternative application you want to use, and I'm not so sure that 3rd party developers can't develop a working solution in that area either. After all, if it wasn't possible to read or add text to text fields etc. from the browser by external programs, I wouldn't be able to use things like external spell checkers with Opera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version