ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera - new alpha version brings untold pleasures...or something like that.

<< < (4/11) > >>

urlwolf:
I dig Opera,it seems as a company they listen to their users.Ironicly,for a browser i wouldn't pay for back in the day i would pay for now.
-tinyvillager (September 04, 2007, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

You must be being sarcastic...
There are continuous requests that have been systematically ignored for ages. The main one is, as Josh says, a plugin system. Not gonna happen.
My pet peeve is that the clipboard keeps only text (this is a biggie, since I copy-paste a lot to onenote and FF gives me html plus a link to where the snippet came from!).

Dirhael:
;D

The very moment I saw this thread I was expecting Josh to bash Opera for lack of support for RoboForm. You are so predictable... haha, just joking, take it easy :Thmbsup:. If they add extensions support, it won't happen before Opera 10, too many things should change and this is a medium upgrade, not a major new version. To support extensions, MAJOR tests are needed before release, and more considering how picky are at Opera Software about not opening the software to avoid bugs like some affecting Firefox (and IE :P)

As for the news... OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD... the changes are impressive. Better integration with sites, more speed and that new desktop search-like feature is something worth hearing. I'm particularly amused by the last one. Did anyone try it with Opera at its maximum settings for history entries (10000)? Does it perform better than Opera 9.2? (it's one of the annoyances that plagues Opera). And I wonder if that mysterious 'status bar' feature was revealed...

Hmmm, and Spybot 1.5 was released today, with Opera support. And probably some new iPods later today. And 'Barcelona' next week... this what they call 'returning from holidays' I suppose, at full blast, indeed.
-Lashiec (September 04, 2007, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haven't tested it with 10k entries, but for me that have it set at 1000 the new alpha build is a whole lot faster than the older versions. Most notably, the opera.exe process quits just about the same instant I close the browser (and that it didn't to it the past, not even close).

By the way, Cybernetnews have a short screencast up where they introduce some of the new features. It's short and doesn't dive very deep, but it's nice for those that doesn't want to install pre-release software :)

Darwin:
Unless roboform is supported, I have no intent to swap to this anytime soon. Sorry, but opera needs to realize that users want to be able to expand their browser if they so desire to.
-Josh (September 04, 2007, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hear! Hear! Couldn't agree more. The biggest barrier for me is the lack of plug-in support as well - particularly Roboform. Other than that, I LOVE Opera.

Lashiec:
Oh, yeah, forgot about one thing. Opera's cost. IIRC Opera has this agreement with Google, which provides revenues by the use of the search box. I don't know if they had one with Yahoo, I think only the Mozilla team has this one. In this recent interview with Jon Von Tetzchner, the interviewer mentions a revenue of $50 million from Google (search for "50m", it's the only result there). IIRC Firefox has something like $70 million last year, but of course, Google is much involved with Firefox development. They also have some contracts with Nintendo for the DS and the Wii browsers, and probably phone carriers or manufactures paid to them for Opera mini (or not).

Ah, cool, thanks Dirhael. About that screencast, I have a open tab with Cybernetnews waiting :)

(If Asa Doztler came here, he would shout "fanboy" at me ;D)

Dirhael:
Oh, yeah, forgot about one thing. Opera's cost. IIRC Opera has this agreement with Google, which provides revenues by the use of the search box. I don't know if they had one with Yahoo, I think only the Mozilla team has this one. In this recent interview with Jon Von Tetzchner, the interviewer mentions a revenue of $50 million from Google (search for "50m", it's the only result there). IIRC Firefox has something like $70 million last year, but of course, Google is much involved with Firefox development. They also have some contracts with Nintendo for the DS and the Wii browsers, and probably phone carriers or manufactures paid to them for Opera mini (or not).

Ah, cool, thanks Dirhael. About that screencast, I have a open tab with Cybernetnews waiting :)

(If Asa Doztler came here, he would shout "fanboy" at me ;D)
-Lashiec (September 04, 2007, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Asa Dotzler shouts obscenities at everyone that doesn't repeat "Firefox is is the tools of the Gods" to themselves at least 10 times a day though, so I wouldn't really have taken that as an insult. No matter how one feels regarding the grilled Fox, it's hard not to despise that man. He doesn't exactly do the Mozilla foundation any favors from a PR perspective...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version