ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a good Uninstaller App

<< < (2/5) > >>

mouser:
i agree with carol -
i would NOT use one of these apps designed to remove all traces of an app as my normal way of uninstalling software!!

only as a manual aid to help you see any stuff left behind, and defintely you should be very careful letting such programs remove stuff unless you are sure you don't need.  better to leave stuff there if you arent sure.  it's like registry cleaners, they can do more harm than good if you aren't very careful, and only for people who know what they are doing.

i hate the add/remove control panel though and there is nothing wrong with using an alternative to that which does the same thing (ie runs the normal application uninstaller).   the nirsoft one is good, and i've for a long time used the free Chris Uninstaller (couldn't find website).  like i said before the only reason i use these is that they are faster and most importantly let me sort based on install date estimtes, which i find super useful and is missing from default add/remove control panel built into windows.

moerl:
I got Nirsoft's MyUninstaller and it's not bad. It really is quite handy, a nice little freeware app. I still prefer Your Uninstaller! 2004 but have not installed it yet since my system reset. I'll keep it that way for a while now, I believe. MyUninstaller + TU3 = DreamTeam :)

clif_notes:
I got Nirsoft's MyUninstaller and it's not bad. It really is quite handy, a nice little freeware app. I still prefer Your Uninstaller! 2004 but have not installed it yet since my system reset. I'll keep it that way for a while now, I believe. MyUninstaller + TU3 = DreamTeam :)
-Shangnyun (September 24, 2005, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

You have good tastes. I prefer the freeware versions of Total Uninstall. They are located at the Last Freeware Version website. 

I've also recently updated an old review of it in my current newsletter. Which is posted in the LivingRoom forum here and at my wiki. I've found lots of other uses for TUN, other than the obvious one it was designed for.

Have fun!

Clif

Carol Haynes:
I've found lots of other uses for TUN, other than the obvious one it was designed for.-clif_notes (September 27, 2005, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now that is a tantalizing quote .... come on then you can't leave it there ;)

Actually it is one thing I like about TUn - you can monitor anything that is running to see what files and registry entries it changes.

Only slight problem is that the monitored app has to be running on its own to get meaningful results.

What we could really do with is a monitor that is restricted to particular application, process or service ... do I feel an IDEA request coming on :P

moerl:
Don't Filemon/Regmon from Sysinternals kind of do what you're suggesting?

cliff_notes, the free version and the latest shareware version of TU aren't even comparable. The author has put a ton of work into the later versions. There are worlds between the usability, speed & performance & ease of use between the old freeware version and the latest pay-TU. It's well worth paying for IMHO.

Thanks for your input everyone :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version