ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (62/77) > >>

Armando:
It's a nice product. But after all the problems the customers have had with GemX, it' could be a bit hazardous to invest (in time, mostly) into an application that might have no future.

Did you want to do something in particular? There are so many other note taking applications around.

tamasd:
I don't think that GemX applications have no future - they have been around for some time, and I bet they still will.

Get their product if you like how it works now.
If you would be purchasing it due to a future potential (as surprisingly many people do), don't do it. Wait until bugs get fixed and functionality implemented.
Don't buy if you need a community around (apparently the forum will never be reinstalled).

I think they are good people, just that it sometimes goes over their head.

They are promising way too much. Things they can manage when all works, but when things fall apart (due to whatever reason, nobody knows, family problems?, health?, no time due to other obligations?), they can't fulfill the promises anymore.

I bought the product for half the price on a special, and for that price it's OK if you ask me. I never had a single problem with them, and my only support request was answered within few hours through DSM. I didn't like that they shut down the forum with all my posts, and particularly with other users posts, some were helpful tips. But that's life.

KenR:
... Did you want to do something in particular? There are so many other note taking applications around.
-Armando (January 12, 2008, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a great question and the answer is yes and no. I thought it looked like a nice app to use with a notebook pc, doing handwriting and such (I could be wrong about everything I believe it does). I create a lot of text files (which I currently manage with UltraEdit) and have been thinking for a while that using a Rich Text app to manage them would have some real benefits.

I did not go looking for a program, however. I just followed a post to it and was really impressed with what I saw. I knew people had experienced 'issues' with TextNote Pro's developer: GemX, but I did not follow those discussions closely as I did not own any GemX apps. I also didn't know the state of those issues or whether they had been resolved.

In addition to UltraEdit, I also own and love both OneNote and EverNote Plus. Perhaps once I understand TextNotes Pro better, I'll realize it doesn't do what I think it does or that it doesn't add meaningful features or benefit to my current software configuration. Any thoughts?

Ken

Armando:
I create a lot of text files (which I currently manage with UltraEdit) and have been thinking for a while that using a Rich Text app to manage them would have some real benefits.

[...]

In addition to UltraEdit, I also own and love both OneNote and EverNote Plus. Perhaps once I understand TextNotes Pro better, I'll realize it doesn't do what I think it does or that it doesn't add meaningful features or benefit to my current software configuration. Any thoughts?
-KenR (January 12, 2008, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

My feeling is that it probably won't do much more than OneNote for you, in terms of features (especially regarding text formating and outlining), etc. to justify using it. Unless you want to create little manuals, books, etc. : it has some nice features to achieve that (but then, other applications can do similar things too). You should maybe know that some here (like Nudone) have found TexNotes to be crash prone, which is NOT good for a text "editor"... I can't

If you'd just prefer many to work with single (RTF or not) files instead of files inside a database, there are other options out there.

One option that some people like (here at DC : J-MAC) is AM-Notebook, written by aignes (Martin Aignesberger).

AM-Notebook uses that file format : http://www.trichview.com/, and everything can be exported in RTF format.

According to some, AM-Notebook might have problems with Unicode support though… But that might not be a problem for you since you speak English.,.

For notes, you could also use SQLNotes (code name), which is now available for free for a free 50-55 days trial  in beta ("renewable" at each new  beta installation, if I remember correctly). It’s immensely powerful and does much much more than only note taking… but it could be used just for that if you wanted. The new Daily Build, allows for rapid NoteTaking, GTD fashion — but you first need to register at the SQLNotes website (http://www.sqlnotes.net/)  and download the full version (and install it…) before you can extract the daily build and copy it in your SQLNotes program folder…

SQLNotes might well be overwhelming though... I'd first try AM-Notebook.

Good luck!

tamasd:
For current DO users: if any of you use spreadsheets, that functionality was removed in 3.1, so before upgrading, copy your spreadsheets elsewhere !

Btw. I have just received a reply from GemX through DSM, in about 2 hours after the request. (And it's long after their business hours.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version