in a really perfect world...
wouldn't it be great - if we could get together amongst our group, and design and program our own PIM? if we had some developers/programmers amongst us..
we could put all the best elements of DO together (but make them all "work") and have great tech support, etc.
it would be a very exciting and the best PIM ever..
as i have been doing a very exhaustive search for a new comprehensive PIM, none compare to DO's features - (as trivial as this is, i really miss the quotes feature - it was kinda nice to see my quotes and i had over 500 of them too!!!) but i too, can't use DO like Darwin - i have tried as of this week. i teach computer classes at a university and i cannot afford to look at my month calendar view and not see all of the appts one minute and then change views, come back to the month view and all of a sudden the entire month view of classes is there!! its maddening - and so many things that were not fixed - and i think that a few of them were small things that weren't fixed - obviously some weren't.
but i tell you some things that disturbed me early (even when things were good):
1. they did not concentrate on making sure that the initial features were working properly
2. inconsistency between modules - some features should have not only been evident in all the modules, but even placed in the same place - i.e. the Private check box. trivial, but not organized or thought out well - it was in the middle of a few modules and offset in others when it could have been centered.
3. explanations that Peter would give for some forum members questions made me raise an eyebrow - how something could not be done - and it was CLEARLY accomplished in other PIM's. i was going to debate with him on something that DO did not currently have (but could have), that he said it would not work and it clearly even worked in Outlook. or his explanation was stooooooopid - for example - importing holidays into the calendar. it should have been a very easy process, but the explanation given never worked for me
4. development of the Finance module - it was soooo incomplete - i don't expect Excel, but geez!!
5. the planner - should have been automatically linked to the calendar - if i make a vacation occurrence, why couldn't it show in the planner automatically? other PIM's that have planners do.
and i could go on and on as you guys probably can too (we won't even get into Palm synching)
i just don't think that they were very organized - never updated their help area, blogs, etc. and explanations of how to do some things weren't clear - and when they were working hard at a new update, they would "disappear" - i guess at that point, we should have comprehended the lack of communication then - b/c we surely see it now!! but probably for different reasons.
well, anyway, Darwin, i sure hope you are able to get somewhere with what you are doing? i am really pulling for you!!