ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Adblock Plus: the nuclear plug-in (nice blog post)

<< < (5/5)

digitalzen:
(Isn't that also an intrusion of not only your computer, but your privacy as well? undecided)
--- End quote ---

How can it be an invasion of your privacy when it's on their server?  You choose to go there.  They don't come calling.

Personally, I think we should eliminate all advertising.  That would enhance the quality of the Net now, wouldn't it?

Silly whining.  If you want to use other people's sites for free, install an ad-blocker by all means, but don't try to justify it by implying that the site owner is infringing on your rights.

Josh:
I agree, whole-heartedly. No one forces you to visit a website. If you don't like their choice of advertising, by all means, stop using the website, but don't claim an invasion of privacy.

yogi22:
Some pages I visit regularly have self-placed ads , and other links in which I have no interest. Usually these unwanted links are in the same location every time you visit the site. Unfortunately, AdBlock cannot block these.

However, they are easy to permanently remove with the FireFox extension, "Remove It Permanently"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/521
kk

mouser:
nicholas just posted a longer follow up, which is entertaining reading:

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2007/09/adblock_plus_wh.php

What happens when the advertisements are wiped clean from a Web site? There is a contented feeling similar to what happens when you watch a recorded half-hour network TV show on DVD in 22 minutes, or when a blizzard hits Times Square and for a few hours, the streets are quiet and unhurried, until the plows come to clear away all that white space.

--- End quote ---

Lashiec:
Let's do some thread necromancy, as I found two articles on the same site about the morals of ad usage and ad blocking, from both sides of the fence, content providers and readers. Most of the points mentioned had already been discussed here, but maybe you will find them in a new light or show something you missed. As for me, I'll continue using ad blocking, but Opera 9.5 can't get released soon enough ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version