ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Adblock Plus: the nuclear plug-in (nice blog post)

<< < (2/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I have been using AdBlock Plus since I got into FF addons a few months ago. Best ad blocker ever.
Next thing we'll hear is sites either blocking Firefox, or blocking those users with the installed extension (so far, I think there's no way to query the extensions used by Firefox).
-Lashiec (September 04, 2007, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
People running those sites can then say bye-bye to my traffic and any activity I may or may not have had there. It's my computer, and if you have a problem with it, thats too bad. (Isn't that also an intrusion of not only your computer, but your privacy as well? :-\)

EDIT: The irony- I just finished reading the article, and re-read the 2 last sentences, "Microsoft kows that ad blockers pose a far greater threat to Google than to itself. As they say: The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Directly under that is an ad...
For Google AdWords
 ;D

Josh:
By visiting their site, you agree to their advertisements. Most sites offer a subscription for ad free viewing, if you truly like the site, you will let the ads show. I do it on sites I support. If DC had a way to force ads to show for charter members, I would enable it. This is why I like ad muncher, I can support sites I like and find useful. Its only right that a site I use all the time get some sort of recoupement for my constant usage.

wreckedcarzz:
By visiting their site, you agree to their advertisements. Most sites offer a subscription for ad free viewing, if you truly like the site, you will let the ads show. I do it on sites I support. If DC had a way to force ads to show for charter members, I would enable it. This is why I like ad muncher, I can support sites I like and find useful. Its only right that a site I use all the time get some sort of recoupement for my constant usage.
-Josh (September 04, 2007, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
True, and very interesting point. But I cannot afford $5 a year here, $15 a year here, $2.50 a month here, and so on. It adds up. And besides, the first time I visit a site that I might like (and want to subscribe too) its a pain in the *** to go around the 15 different flash banners making my computer look like the NASA space station just to get to a link (that often times turns out to be an ad).

Tekzel:
-Josh (September 04, 2007, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I never agreed to any such thing.  Show me where I accepted one.  Oh, its an implied agreement?  By the same token, by me visiting their site they accepted an implied agreement to not annoy the heck out of me, which they broke with their intrusive flashing ads.

Josh:
Thats just it, you are visiting something THEY own, not the other way around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version