ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

$7.5 to optimize XP NTFS Drive access : rip-off or not ?

<< < (6/9) > >>

Josh:
And just as f0dder guessed, its NTFS file compression.

I have just lost any and all respect for this company. Charging for a paper about NTFS compression which is freely available to anyone who wants it. And whats more, they did their testing with TEXT FILES. What a joke

KenR:
Alright, purchased, looking at it now
-Josh (September 03, 2007, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Outstanding. As soon as you know, let me know what I am supposed to do (besides lament the credits).

Ken

Darwin:
Sent, Josh!

mwb1100:
Wouldn't NTFS have to check before each file read whether the file is compressed or not - OK not a big deal for a single MP3 file - but suppose you want to copy (or process) 5000 MP3 files - that will be a big extra hit.
-Carol Haynes (September 03, 2007, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

It compresses/decompresses on a cluster basis.  When it reads a cluster in a compressed file, there's a bit that indicates if the cluster is compressed or not.  The overhead on uncompressed clusters is essentially zero.  And even for compressed clusters, as the disktrix teaser indicates, with today's processors the decompression is quite efficient.  It's probably a significant hit only rarely

I think that for files that are read more often than written, NTFS compression is a win (or draw) in pretty much any scenario.  For files that get written a lot, I'm not sure where the break-even point in performance would be.

Darwin:
R-I-P-O-F-F. I sort of feel like I've participated in a Mythbusters or Consumer Reports "sting". Now, how do we "out" these turds without getting slapped silly by a copyright lawyer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version