ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Settings backup software?

<< < (2/6) > >>

edbro:
This has already been discussed thoroughly here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8960.msg65858#msg65858

KenR:
Today's GiveAway is offering some of it:

East-Tec Backup 2007 backs up and protects the files and data you care about (files, folders, documents, emails, photos, address book, and settings from your favorite programs such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, and more). -GiveAwayOfTheDay
--- End quote ---
-Curt (September 03, 2007, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nice post Curt. Thanks for letting people know. Backuping things up is always an ongoing need and it's always good to bring such offers to people's attention.

Ken

Darwin:
Free Download a Day has Areca Backup highlighted today. Might be worth a look...

Also, see my post about Winalysis in the thread to which edBro pointed.

app103:
App, out of curiosity, and if it's not indiscreet to ask : why do you want to backup Windows settings? (Sorry if it seems like a stupid question...)
-Armando (September 01, 2007, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have had a few mishaps over the years that were easily fixed and some only because I had enough sense to eventually backup the registry settings for a specific application.

I am sure there are those that aren't as skilled at figuring out how to fix some things that go wrong and if it's just one little thing it would be great to have a small tool that can do it for you.

I can remember a time waaay back when I had no clue how to fix my taskbar when I accidentally dragged it to wrong part of my screen. Took me about 2 hours of dragging it all over the place to accidentally get it back to the way I wanted it.  :-[

People take a lot of time customizing things to get it all just the way they want it. It would be nice to be able to make it easy for them to save just what they want...and even nicer to make it easy for them to restore it too.

What if you just want to play around with all your settings and mess with colors, cursors, sounds, etc. Wouldn't it be great to be able to go back to the way you had it all with just a click or 2?

I am sure there is more than just the basic appearance settings that we'd all like to be able to easily save.

If this is the kind of tool I would end up making, I'd probably ask everyone for their input on just what settings are a pain to have to remember or fix when it goes wrong.

This has already been discussed thoroughly here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8960.msg65858#msg65858
-edbro (September 03, 2007, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have looked there and nothing is quite what I had in mind. They all require you to know what registry keys to back up. I was thinking more like being able to select an application from a list and check off a bunch of boxes that explain what each setting is, to make it easy for those that don't understand.

This wouldn't really be for power users that are comfortable with the more complicated tools that would require you to know what you are looking for. This would be for the less computer savvy average pc user.

I mean, I am perfectly happy with diving into the guts of my registry and messing around, exporting the keys I want & need. But is everyone else?

tomos:
I mean, I am perfectly happy with diving into the guts of my registry and messing around, exporting the keys I want & need. But is everyone else?
-app103 (September 04, 2007, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
absolutely not !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version