ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

Getting Organized in 2007

<< < (4/5) > >>

TucknDar:
I think Mark Forster (IIRC) was spot on when he said in the interview that the experiment had a flaw in that there were new methods every week. A method needs work over time to be of any help.

What I would like this year's experiment to do for me (yes, I know it's really up to me), is to be a motivation to adapt ONE method. Not that DC or anyone needs to tell me which method, because any method can be good I suppose, it's all about motivation.

Having said that, I know I can't really expect anyone to be my personal motivator and creating perfect tasks that are adaptable to my or anyone's system or method. But if we work together in creating tasks or challenges that are more or less universal, I think that could be helpful, if you know what I mean. So point is that a successful experiment to me, is one that lets me stick to a method (I think I'll go for the Do It Tomorrow approach) but provides me with some guidance and challenges that let's me focus on actually adapting this method.

iphigenie:
My experience is that no one method alone can work long term. It can help, but eventually some parts of the method that don't suit us will start causing problems. Pick bits from methods that help you overcome your own weaknesses... my method is a patchwork!

Most systems are flawed - hey all assume that cataloging a huge list of tasks and prioritising them then some method for going through them is all we need to become effective productive and shiny people... when it can simply make us better at being busy. Of course this is because as a system they focus on tools to manage things and don't tackle the issues behind it - the planning and decision making that should make us only take on what can reasonably done...

These system might have worked well for people who are in a hierarchical system with clear lines, where the source of "todos" are few and clearly defined (our boss, ourself, our clients) and therefore you can assume that these sources can be aware of what else you have to do, and possibly self limiting (your boss will know she gave you a deadline and not throw something else in the mix without thinking).

But for anyone who is self employed, or an executive, or in the flatter companies we seem to operate in lately (where people report to a dozen different people for a dozen different side projects etc.), or for projects where we have to self motivate... for any of us then just cataloguing the todos and putting a system is not enough. You just end up spreading time thinner and thinner between a lot of different and all urgent things.

I like Mark Forster's pragmatic - decide what you do and don't do, focus on a few things at a time - approach. And even in business it can work, because thinking "do we really need to do this now, whats the cost if we do, what's the cost if we don't" is a very useful exercise that can save a lot of money.

Anyway, I have a few personal projects that need completing and this experiment might just provide the "name and shame" pressure for them

thomthowolf:
OK, count me in.  I have a novel I have just not been getting to, and I could stand some motivation.  Also, I really loved the 2006 version, and I am using some of the tools we were all introduced to still.  That experiment really taught me that the real purpose of GTD or any other methodology is to keep track of what you should be doing instead of what you are doing.   :)
Thanks for resurrecting it

superboyac:
OK, count me in.  I promise to finish two more blogs for DC before the year is over.  In one, I will be focusing on Minidiscs, and the other one will be a review of the software Transkriber.

TucknDar:
Minidiscs huh? I loved those!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version