ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stay Away From Microsoft VISTA

<< < (11/19) > >>

MrCrispy:
Imagine a legacy notetaking program.
It starts out when installed with a data file called Notes.data in its program directory.
As user adds notes, they get added to this Notes.data file.

--- End quote ---

Good example. I don't know what the best way to deal with this would be, but one idea is that the program should have a way of exporting its data and thus the user can save it somewhere else? In this case, the program will trigger UAC since its writing to a system directory and thus the user will know that something is going on.

Here is a good description - http://blogs.msdn.com/audiofool/archive/2007/03/20/categories-of-legacy-applications.aspx

mouser:
However, for those people who call his extension, the company puts in place a redirect in the PABX system, so that anyone who calls Steve is actually transferred to Lisa. The same applies to his email. Steve is now virtualized.

The reason this works is that people don't want to talkt o Steve, but the CFO. And apps should also not write to hardwired locations.
--- End quote ---

Yeah but what if Lisa is not the new CFO, but in fact is some flunky temp with no authority, even though the PABX redirect told you that you were being transferred to the new CFO.  After 10 calls to Lista you finally figure out that you have been trying to get tech support from someone who doesn't know anything about anything.  You might not be too happy.  :huh:

Innuendo:
While all this talk of virtualization stuff is fascinating, I'm going to throw in my two cents closer to the subject of the OP rather than the virtualization argument.

Vista sucks. Look at all that we were promised compared to what we got. We were promised a revolution. What we got was the equivalent of an XP service pack with some third-party grade programs tacked on. I've read the dissection of the road to Vista. I've read about all the problems & missteps the Vista programmers encountered & while I can sympathize to a point the fact remains at the end of the day my final response to their whining is a resounding, "Wah."

Look what we got in the time it took to go from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Very few people will argue that what XP gave us over 2K is at least the equivant or more than what Vista is giving us over XP. I won't even get into what Vista means for gamers. Despite all the DX10 bravado Vista is the bane of gamers everywhere. Do we even need to discuss the "really stupid, how did this guy get a job as a programmer" bugs like the slow-copy bug or the network-performance slows to a crawl if you play MP3s" bug?

I'm sorry I can't remember for the life of me where I read it, but one blog writer summed up the disaster which is Vista perfectly. He stated that the United States started from scratch at ground zero and put a man on the moon in the same amount of time that Microsoft took to release Vista & they (MS) were starting with a solid base (XP) that had nothing really serious flaws to begin with.

Unless MS gets their collective finger out of their collective arse Vista is doomed to go down in history as the Windows ME of the 21st century.

f0dder:
the slow-copy bug or the network-performance slows to a crawl if you play MP3s" bug?
-Innuendo
--- End quote ---
In all fairness, the thing that causes this slowdown actually makes sense - it should just have been fine-tuned better (like, only kick in when HD content is being played). And it's also not going to affect many people; you're not going to be playing media files on a file server, and I do wonder how many people are doing full-speed file transfers on a gigabit network (as far as I can tell, 100mbit LANs shouldn't be affected by the interrupt moderation imposed).

But yes, that feature should have been tested better, should only kick in when necessary (shouldn't be that hard to detect programmatically; or at least only activate on HD content), etc. I do think it's funny how everybody are overreacting about an issue that's only going to affect a small number of people, and is a pretty easy fix.

Mark's Blog has some sense about all this.

Darwin:
I'm sorry I can't remember for the life of me where I read it, but one blog writer summed up the disaster which is Vista perfectly. He stated that the United States started from scratch at ground zero and put a man on the moon in the same amount of time that Microsoft took to release Vista & they (MS) were starting with a solid base (XP) that had nothing really serious flaws to begin with.
--- End quote ---

This is a bit confusing - I've worked it through, I think, but stating the "US started from scratch at ground zero and put a man on the moon"... made me first think of the US War of Independence as starting from scratch. Then "ground zero" made me think of September 11th and the World Trade Centre. Finally I arrived a this: the US implemented a plan to land a person on the moon and saw the plan from realization through to completion in the same amount of time as M$ took to roll out Vista. Makes sense. Have I got it right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version