ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For Discussion: Search engine query repository and bookmarking service

(1/4) > >>

Veign:
Create a bookmarking system where the user no longer bookmarks a single website but instead is bookmarking a highly perfected (over time in the system) search engine query. What this does is prevent the annoying 'page not found' you get when you recall a bookmark. Instead you are always presented with the best possible websites for your topic.
--- End quote ---

Read the full idea here:
http://www.veign.com/blog/2007/08/idea-search-engine-query-repository-and.html

Mouser wanted me to post this to get others thoughts on my idea.  I was going to keep this idea a secret and develop the website but I have come to the realization that I just don't have the time and wanted to put it out there.

I would love to hear your thoughts and feel free to ask questions if I failed to explain anything well enough.

Laughing Man:
I don't get it? Could you explain it to me? It sounds confusing. Is it like using Firefox and Opera and creating a specific search function at each site. Then compiling them all together into one area? Or are you talking about bookmarking the sites into a search engine?

Veign:
You aren't bookmarking a single website you are bookmarking a search engine query.

So, instead of bookmarking a website on starting a small business like:
bookmark: http://SmallBusinessWebsite.com

You would bookmark a search engine query like:
bookmark: start "small business" how-to

or if you're looking for articles on Horses you could bookmark something like:
bookmark: ~horse articles

Obviously the stored queries would evolve over time and get better results when others use your stored queries.

The main reason I thought this would be useful is as time passes I use my bookmarks less and less and often rely on Google Search to locate websites again.  In fact I have a ton of PHP websites bookmarked that I never use because its easier to go and search Google (and I can get better results as search engines identify better results for queries)

Does that better explain.

nudone:
i also find myself completely ignoring my bookmarks (favorites) and just doing the search in google again. so i understand the redundant nature of all those saved links.

but as you can create google search result shortcuts like any other saved link why would you need to code something special?

Veign:
I see the system helping you create optimized search queries either from internal to the website or by other members.  There are so many ideas in my head about why this would work that goes so far beyond what you can currently do with Google and Browser bookmarks.

Like most user don't know of, or don't use, advanced search parameters and methods.    This is the part that needs to be fleshed out better as to how queries go from basic and useful to optimized and perfected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version