Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 27, 2014, 02:47:11 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: portable onenote?  (Read 8747 times)
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »

I'm a bit worried because I trust a lot of my work to onenote.
For a start, I cannot take it with me with an usb stick, which worries me.

Is there anyone in the same situation here? Did you find a solution? Is there any portable app. that can read onenote files? Any ideas?

Thanks
edbro
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »

Yes, same situation. Solution was to hurry up and buy Evernote Pro while there is still a member discount.

I actually struggled with the same thing. I own OneNote 2007 and like it a lot. But, I wanted to carry my data around with me. Evernote has a portable version as well as a desktop version. (You have to buy both  Sad , $20 each with the discount). I bought both just a couple of days ago. One thing I find I like in Evernote that OneNote doesn't have is auto-filter categories. In other words, I can tell Evernote that anything I clip with the words "Ribs" will go to my "BBQ" category. On the other hand, I like OneNote's interface a bit more, but I am starting to get used to Evernote's also.

Edit:
I said above that you have to buy both, but that is inaccurate. You only need both if you want to synchronize databases between a desktop and portable version.
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »

undecided
I was half expecting that.
It sucks, because I have a large onenote set of notebooks.
And evernote is plain html, no outlining features. E.g., I like that in onenote, you can outline really quick (keeps indentation etc).

I think the only solution for me would be for someone to create a portable version of onenote. There's a portable office in the torrent search engines, but it doesn't have onenote.
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »

urlwolf : yes,  you should try to make OneNote portable. I'm sure it's possible... Well, maybe not...!
Programmers here! help!

Ok. Maybe... with a virtualization solution?

I think a friend of mine used Altiris or Thinstall to achieve some kind of portability with a not so portable app.  Maybe...

I'll try to ask him.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:13:03 PM »

I just googled onenote and altiris and thinstall and... Forget Altiris. But thinstall looks more interresting as I got all kind of what looks like pirated onenote sofware.  embarassed Sorry!  But... the fact is, it also looks like some people achieved portability (as I remembered) using thinstall. Now, don't ask me how they did it with OneNote as I don't even use OneNote (tried it, didn't like it...), nor thinstall. But, in a way, it looks like... a step in the right direction if you're willing to invest in a virtualizing solution... (I'll still ask alex -- my friend -- to enquire about virtualizing procedures...)
Edit : I wrote without knowing about OneNote's licensing. It might very well be that it's illegal to use your version on multiple computer -- prtable or not. That might be another thing to consider...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:06:30 AM by Armando » Logged

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 05:16:08 AM »

OneNote has been thinstalled. i.e., made portable. But sharing the download link would be illegal.

Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 11:10:25 AM »

Sri : yes... It looks like it.

urlwolf: Wow, I just checked Thinstall's price :  $4,995 . A  bit steep just to create portable application (interresting concept, though).
You'd probably better to find another solution...

I really don't think that EverNote would be the best option for you.

Glenn Gould
edbro
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 11:10:53 AM »

I tried the Thinstall version and it was extremely slow to load. Too painful for me to use daily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.026s | Server load: 0.07 ]