topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: portable onenote?  (Read 14196 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
portable onenote?
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:48 PM »
I'm a bit worried because I trust a lot of my work to onenote.
For a start, I cannot take it with me with an usb stick, which worries me.

Is there anyone in the same situation here? Did you find a solution? Is there any portable app. that can read onenote files? Any ideas?

Thanks

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: portable onenote?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Yes, same situation. Solution was to hurry up and buy Evernote Pro while there is still a member discount.

I actually struggled with the same thing. I own OneNote 2007 and like it a lot. But, I wanted to carry my data around with me. Evernote has a portable version as well as a desktop version. (You have to buy both  :( , $20 each with the discount). I bought both just a couple of days ago. One thing I find I like in Evernote that OneNote doesn't have is auto-filter categories. In other words, I can tell Evernote that anything I clip with the words "Ribs" will go to my "BBQ" category. On the other hand, I like OneNote's interface a bit more, but I am starting to get used to Evernote's also.

Edit:
I said above that you have to buy both, but that is inaccurate. You only need both if you want to synchronize databases between a desktop and portable version.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:02 PM »
 :-\
I was half expecting that.
It sucks, because I have a large onenote set of notebooks.
And evernote is plain html, no outlining features. E.g., I like that in onenote, you can outline really quick (keeps indentation etc).

I think the only solution for me would be for someone to create a portable version of onenote. There's a portable office in the torrent search engines, but it doesn't have onenote.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 11:00 PM »
urlwolf : yes,  you should try to make OneNote portable. I'm sure it's possible... Well, maybe not...!
Programmers here! help!

Ok. Maybe... with a virtualization solution?

I think a friend of mine used Altiris or Thinstall to achieve some kind of portability with a not so portable app.  Maybe...

I'll try to ask him.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:13 PM »
I just googled onenote and altiris and thinstall and... Forget Altiris. But thinstall looks more interresting as I got all kind of what looks like pirated onenote sofware.  :-[ Sorry!  But... the fact is, it also looks like some people achieved portability (as I remembered) using thinstall. Now, don't ask me how they did it with OneNote as I don't even use OneNote (tried it, didn't like it...), nor thinstall. But, in a way, it looks like... a step in the right direction if you're willing to invest in a virtualizing solution... (I'll still ask alex -- my friend -- to enquire about virtualizing procedures...)
Edit : I wrote without knowing about OneNote's licensing. It might very well be that it's illegal to use your version on multiple computer -- prtable or not. That might be another thing to consider...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:06 AM by Armando »

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 05:16 AM »
OneNote has been thinstalled. i.e., made portable. But sharing the download link would be illegal.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Sri : yes... It looks like it.

urlwolf: Wow, I just checked Thinstall's price :  $4,995 . A  bit steep just to create portable application (interresting concept, though).
You'd probably better to find another solution...

I really don't think that EverNote would be the best option for you.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 11:10 AM »
I tried the Thinstall version and it was extremely slow to load. Too painful for me to use daily.