topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Licensing add-on, copy protection software, and one specific question.  (Read 12673 times)

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can anyone recommend any good:

1.  Add-ons...
2.  COM or other components...
3.  Copy protection software in general?

Also, I am specifically looking for one I saw "back in the day."  It was called "Bit" something I am almost positive.  I cannot for the life of me find it though.

Any luck?
I code.  Therefore I am.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're questions are totally out of context....Addons for what? COM components for what? Copy protection for what? Be more specific please.

Ehtyar.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're questions are totally out of context....Addons for what? COM components for what? Copy protection for what? Be more specific please.

Is this not the general software discussion forum?

(Licensing or copy protection) Add-ons for software.
(Licensing or copy protection) COM components for software.
Licensing or copy protection for software.

Get a clue or do not bother to respond.  I do not need someone being asinine for the sake of it.
I code.  Therefore I am.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Is this not the general software discussion forum?

Yes, but it's not really so much of a developers forum as it is a users forum.

Get a clue or do not bother to respond.  I do not need someone being asinine for the sake of it.

No need to get nasty. He was looking for clarification. Your original request was too broad to answer. If you were in a specifically developer forum, like say here, then it would have been easier to determine what you were asking.

In any event, your questions are still far to vauge to answer. You really need to narrow them down to something that someone can answer.

Good components? ILS, IPN.NET, .NET Reactor, VBOLock, DeployLX... There are lots of them... Depends on what you want to do... What language are you using? Delphi? MFC? ASM? .NET? VC++? For Windows? Linux? OSX? Solaris? Is x64 support necessary? Do you need activation? Protection vs. licensing - they aren't the same... Too many wide open questions to give a decent answer.

Narrow it down to what you're looking to do and someone can give you a decent answer. Otherwise visit the ASP NGs or the JoS BoS forum. There are other places to look as well.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That is exactly what I was looking for.  I did not want to be specific, because I was attempting to start a generalized talk on software that assists people in licensing software.  I also stated this, even though you asked again "depends on what you want to do."  I wanted to know about licensing software others knew of.

Granted, this probably could have been put in the developer forum.  Again though, I was not being specific on purpose, therefore I thought it qualified as "general."

And I was not being nasty, I thought Ehtyar was the one being snippy so I replied thusly.

Maybe I overreacted.  Some serious family issues have arisen and it has been difficult for all of us to deal with them calmly.  *If* I overreacted, my apologies.

Thanks for the feedback, Renegade.
I code.  Therefore I am.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Maybe I overreacted.  Some serious family issues have arisen and it has been difficult for all of us to deal with them calmly.  *If* I overreacted, my apologies.

No worries - just please be forgiving the next time I get blitzed drunk and start posting completely insane drivel! :D

(I do post & drink from time to time - it's embarassing.)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
damn alcoholic posters..  >:( ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

No worries - just please be forgiving the next time I get blitzed drunk and start posting completely insane drivel! :D

(I do post & drink from time to time - it's embarassing.)

Noted.  Oh my, that is hilarious!  I drink and post frequently myself!

A drunken haze usually makes me calm and bearable.  I guess I have not had enough to drink.
I code.  Therefore I am.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK. So the requirements have changed to copy protection for software that can be used by drunk developers. I think we may have identified a niche market here.  :P  :beerchug: :drinksmiley:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Ok - looks like this thread is a bit derailed... so...

It's a serious problem. You're calmly having a few too many, hit a thread that fires you up, and all of a sudden you're posting ludicrous non-sense, but with the aid of careful typing, staring at the screen a bit too long, and a spell checker built into the forum, you've got a coherent mess of insanity that just makes you look like a complete jackass!

I wonder if you could make any money attaching those breathalyzer machines that they use on cars to your computer to stop you from becoming a complete idiot in front of the entire world...

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok - looks like this thread is a bit derailed... so...

It's a serious problem. You're calmly having a few too many, hit a thread that fires you up, and all of a sudden you're posting ludicrous non-sense, but with the aid of careful typing, staring at the screen a bit too long, and a spell checker built into the forum, you've got a coherent mess of insanity that just makes you look like a complete jackass!

I wonder if you could make any money attaching those breathalyzer machines that they use on cars to your computer to stop you from becoming a complete idiot in front of the entire world...

You know, I wondered if yours was a "bait post."  That is why I played along.  Who exactly are you replying to?
I code.  Therefore I am.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK. So the requirements have changed to copy protection for software that can be used by drunk developers. I think we may have identified a niche market here.  :P  :beerchug: :drinksmiley:
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
*chokes and falls onto the floor because of laughing*

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Licensing add-on, copy protection software, and one specific question.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 09:20 AM »
Just my 2 cents. Copy protection components/addons/software is plainly stupid. If you don't code it yourself, you have quite a large chance to get it cracked two seconds after release.

Read http://www.searchlor...rg/protec/protec.htm . Pretty outdated, but the non-platform-specific advice is just damn right.

Get involved on the Reverse Engineering community, you'll find someone who can help you protecting your apps.

Realize that there's no uncrackable protection, and that yours WILL BE cracked. It's just a matter of time [and about how bored the cracker is :P]

So, good luck in your quest!