topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: best Windows Explorer replacement  (Read 6734 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
best Windows Explorer replacement
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:07 AM »
hello

can you tell me please whats the best Windows Explorer replacement?
the fastest (very important) and most customizable

PS:
I want to fully integrate it (replace explorer.exe, replace keyboard shortcuts etc) can I do it with a Windows Explorer replacement or I need a shell?

thanks

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: best Windows Explorer replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 01:49 AM »
hello

can you tell me please whats the best Windows Explorer replacement?
the fastest (very important) and most customizable

PS:
I want to fully integrate it (replace explorer.exe, replace keyboard shortcuts etc) can I do it with a Windows Explorer replacement or I need a shell?

thanks
First of all, I don't think there is one "best" Explorer replacement. Everyone has different needs, and while some prefer Directory Opus, others prefer Total Commander or any other file manager.

As for "full integration" you need a shell. It is possible to use a file manager, AFAIK, but it requires some extra tools and utilities (systray and hotkeys, for instance), while a decent shell does all the important shell-work.

I think the topic has been discussed before, so try a search and you'll probably find some good explanations :)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 01:59 AM »
I think kalos is talking about a Windows Shell replacement, not just a file manager, although the 2 go hand in hand right..

bb4win, windowblinds, etc.

and if you are meaning file managers, then DOpus, TC, XY and x2 are some good ones to take a look at - every ones definition of best is very different ;)
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:10 AM »
I think kalos is talking about a Windows Shell replacement, not just a file manager, although the 2 go hand in hand right..

bb4win, windowblinds, etc.

and if you are meaning file managers, then DOpus, TC, XY and x2 are some good ones to take a look at - every ones definition of best is very different ;)
Yes, and I did talk about shells :). Btw, Windowblinds is not a shell, it just skins the windows. My personal favourite shell is LiteStep, while bblean (i.e. bb4win) is also an excellent shell. I suggest kalos take a look at these and a good file manager along with it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:58 AM »
I personally have replace the explorer.exe shell with blackbox for windows, and explorer.exe file management with explorer2. There's a few things that x^2 doesn't handle, like "my network connections", but everything else works perfectly.

(and the netcon issue might be because of the way I did integration, perhaps I need to pass commandline in a different way - x^2 does have shell namespace support etc.!)
- carpe noctem

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 10:22 PM »
f0dder, just out of curiosity, why do you use blackbox -- any technical reasons or is it purely... and aesthetical caprice ?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 03:30 AM »
I believe it's somewhat lighter than explorer.exe - but the main reason is really that I can easily remap global hotkeys like Win+E and Win+F to explorer2 and locate32, respectively.

I don't use the window skinning or multiple desktops, but I do use my own "run" bar  (probably why I'm not using FARR (yet?)) and a couple of iconboxes.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 03:32 AM by f0dder »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 11:28 AM »
I see... Thanks!