ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File Managers! Windows Explorer replacement! Come one, come all...

<< < (25/39) > >>

KenR:
Curt, using Directory Opus, I have created scripts to set conditions before running a program, run the program, wait until it's finished and then do additional activities like delete files and then copy others.

I have created independent standalone toolbars that run all the software on my computer. These toolbars are set to be small icons until clicked and then the toolbar that comes out has large icons on.

I have buttons on my toolbar to set the default printer.

I have a toolbar on my file lister that has directories so I can drop files in or go to them. DO has a flat view that lets me view all of the files in all of the subdirectories below the current level. I can filter what files and folders I want to see and what files and folders I don't at any location.

I could go on and on. I am not familiar with the tool you are using, but I would be surprised if it has the power and flexibility that DO has. It has a scripting language that allows the user to perform and extremely wide variety of things.

On the other hand, if you're happy with what you have, then why worry about this stuff. Just stick with what you are happily using.

Ken

Curt:
Yes, it might very well be a question about being stupid but happy...  8)

Seriously, I was trialing D'Opus, but didn't find any reason to keep it. Without remembering, I would guess that some / many of the impressive D'Opus features you were telling about - and they do sound impressive! -, demands that I learn how to write a script??

sri:
There's not much learning to do in DOpus for creating buttons with actions like what Kenny was talking about. In the end it's a matter of what features YOU want in the program you are using.

If Windows Explorer with add-ons like QT meets your requirements, fine..so be it. But, that doesn't make it any more powerful than a full featured program like DOpus. It's just that you are not interested in using the advanced features that DOpus and XYPlorer offer.

:)

Curt:
Thanks for the pedagogic answer, sri   :D

I remember a teacher who gave a very poor lecture on a subject, and then asked: "Are there any questions to this?" We were not able to answer him, because you really have to know at least something   in order to understand what it is you should be asking. I guess, the problem with D'Opus is just about the same: I did trial the wonder program, but I didn't know anything about what could be done, so I never knew why I should keep it. Because I didn't know how to ask the right question.

Maybe.

KenR:
Yes, it might very well be a question about being stupid but happy...  8)

Seriously, I was trialing D'Opus, but didn't find any reason to keep it. Without remembering, I would guess that some / many of the impressive D'Opus features you were telling about - and they do sound impressive! -, demands that I learn how to write a script??
-Curt (October 14, 2007, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Directory Opus is extremely powerful. In some ways, we might compare it to Opera. It has a lot of things already built in that you can add on to other browsers. For example, directory opus has built in FTP, even advanced FTP features (encryptiuon) if you pay for them.

However, at least in my opinion, the real power is the ability of DO to be built (configured) into what you want. You can have different layouts and that simply pick between them. I could spend the rest of the afternoon talking about the things you could do with DO. You can do ..., you can do ..., you can do... with Diectory Opus, but you have to configure it. If you're not going to take the time and effort to do that, then it's not going to be much different than anything else out of the box.

As you may know, I just got XYplorer (see forum for more info) so I have not had time to work with it to know all that it will do. I have been using DO for about 5 years so I know it pretty well. So I don't really believe that I am qualified to address the features of any other file manager. But regarding Directory Opus, it's been able to do about everything I've ever tried to get it to. The things I mentioned were just scratching the surface. If you want to be stunned sometime, download the manual and read through it. It's staggering what the program is capable of. Again though, much, arguably most, of the power is in it's configurability and customization to meet your own needs and interests.

If all you're interested in is simple, straightforward file management, I'm sure about any program would work fine for you.

Pontificaciously, Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version