ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File Managers! Windows Explorer replacement! Come one, come all...

<< < (19/39) > >>

Beth UK:
I have recently strated using AB Commander - as an explorer replacement on 64-bit Vista. It's one of the rare ones that actually has a 64-bit natively coded version. Prior to that I was using my beloved DOpus and TC. I know DOpus supposedly runs on 64-bit (though not supported) but I wanted to experiment a little...

Have to say I have been quiet impressed with AB Commander - and I am not someone who is easily impressed. Fair amount of keyboard support and sync options and runs VERY fast on my system.

Darwin:
Beth - please add your vote to the File Manager poll (unless you've already done so?) - AB Commander is all alone with no votes (this was one of the first that I tried about 7 years ago - the developers, WinAbility, were responsible for one a MUST HAVE add-on under Windows for WorkGroups 3.11 - FMStepUp - that I still remember with great fondness)...

EDIT: actually, who am I kidding? I'm still running FMStepUp - I <ahem, cough, cough> managed to find a copy of winfile.exe from WinNT4 and both it and the FMStepUp add-in still work flawlessly under XP. It's incredible to realize that a dual-pane file manager WAS a feature of Windows that was slowly phased out....

Lashiec:
O-K, that Ultima Prime has made Total Commander supersede Firefox as the most ridiculously configurable app around. What are all those apps doing inside a file manager window? W-T-F?

Darwin:
I agree Lashiec. The nice thing is that out of the box TC UP features file previews for just about any file format that you can think of - this is my primary reason for "loving" it.  The other things - media players, chat clients and so on are not essential for me at all, and yet they are more convenient that I would have thought. If nothing else, the ability to copy the TC UP directory onto a thumbdrive and have all these apps configured and ready to go is NICE. I'm using it for now to guide me in configuring TC to my liking. Once I get it configured I'll probably stop using TC UP... For now, I'm just having fun with it!

Lashiec:
No, actually it's OK, but I mean I didn't know that Total Commander could "execute" inside it external apps. I mean, my statement of living inside TC in the xplorer² mini-review it's actually true! But I wonder if it's legal to distribute such package...

The file previews can be achieved using Universal Viewer. Out of the box it provides a lot of viewers, and as it takes advantage of Internet Explorer addons, it displays a few more in addition. Of course, you could add some of the plugins residing at the TOTALCMD.NET site to add some others, but there's no need for it. The native file viewer built into TC (Lister) provides a subset of the viewers, and it does not provide so much functionality. And both can be used in any file manager accepting external viewers. Deja vu paragraph out ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version