ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File Managers! Windows Explorer replacement! Come one, come all...

<< < (15/39) > >>

JohnFredC:
My vote: new thread.  Reviews probably wouldn't be limited to file managers.

Darwin:
My vote: new thread.  Reviews probably wouldn't be limited to file managers.
-JohnFredC (September 11, 2007, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to clarify - I meant dumping ground for ideas WRT the file management review. However, I tend toward your line of thinking, a new thread for review related notes is probably a good idea. If nothing else, it will keep this thread clear of review related notes and allow it to continue to serve as a discussion area for File Managers in general. I'll wait for a couple of more people to add their thoughts and take it from there.

dalchina:
Hi, Are there any truly 100% effective explorer replacements- i.e. such that explorer never then appears in normal use?

I played with a few, found some bugs in some free ones, and settled - for now- with DOpus.

It's apparently quite hard for an explorer replacement to really be a complete explorer replacement- i.e. to ensure explorer NEVER appears when you don't expect it.

I noted that if you right click on an expanded start menu folder, (Start, Programs, let it expand, right click) and Explore/Explore All, explorer appears even if DOpus is selected as the replacement. I asked Dopus about that, they confirmed it, and their comment was 'MS seem to have broken their own rules here...'!

Are there any truly successful replacements around- no exceptions? (Ok, CTRL ALT DEL, run new process excepted)

BTW I found having a simpler explorer replacement available really useful on the odd occasion when I've had a problem and explorer wouldn't appear- blank desktop syndrome- e.g. freecommander.

tinjaw:
Darwin,

I am interested in knowing how many people use these file managers. I'd think a poll with the main five, a choice for other, and a choice for I don't use one would be very interesting.

Darwin:
OK tinjaw - let me feed my ravenous toddlers and I'll create a poll while they're burping contentedly to themselves and are held captive by Dora the Explorer...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version