ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File Managers! Windows Explorer replacement! Come one, come all...

<< < (2/39) > >>

JohnFredC:
I am partial to the dual-pane "commander" design in file managers. Here is a list of the dual-pane commanders for Windows (only) that I have tried and that I think qualify as legitimate candidates for serious comparison:

ABCommander
xplorer2
Directory Opus
Total Commander
Altap Salamander
Enriva Magellan
RageWork
SpeedCommander
EFCommander
FreeCommander
WinNC.net

There are many more file commanders out there: quite a few "wanna be's" that I discarded immediately and several cross-platform tools (muCommander, for instance) that IMHO aren't quite focused enough on Windows to make my list.

Unless you have used all (or most) of these tools extensively and wrung them dry of their features in real world situations, any claim that one or another of them is the best rings hollow to me.

This could be a fun thread if we all show objectivity and moderation.

edbro:
For me a big factor is portability. I like using the same FM on my USB drive as I do on my home PC. I now own xplorer2Pro, TC, and DirOpus 9. All three have portability. With X2 and DirOpus you have to pay a bit more for the portable version. TC is portable right out of the box. I also know from the above list that FreeCommander is portable.

My all time favorite: DirOpus by a long shot!

Armando:
JohnFredC : you seem to know TC pretty well. Can it be easily configured to replace explorer (Directory Opus can)?

Dirhael:
JohnFredC : you seem to know TC pretty well. Can it be easily configured to replace explorer (Directory Opus can)?

-Armando (August 30, 2007, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, not easily but I'm quite sure you'd be able to it the same way as with Xyplorer: More details at the Xyplorer wiki.

mwb1100:
Is UltraExplorer worthy of consideration (http://www.mustangpeak.net/subdomains/ultraexplorer/index.html)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version