ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File Managers! Windows Explorer replacement! Come one, come all...

<< < (30/39) > >>

tomos:
can anyone recommend a file manager that will do a simple byte comparison of two files ?
-tomos (June 05, 2008, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean, a built-in "diff" tool?  If you do, Total Commander has it.  You can compare as binary, or not (i.e. as text).
-rjbull (June 05, 2008, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

well, in DOpus you can synch folder contents by doing a "byte comparision"
I actually dont want to have to look at text & compare it (or even know where the differences are) - I just want to know if they're the same or not :)

Maybe I should just ask DonL seeing as I have XYPlorer liscence...

Dirhael:
Heh, heh, busted! Thanks rjbull for pointing out that TotalCommander DOES do this right out of the box... I just haven't used the application enough to have known where to look for it  :-[

Tom, another one you might look at is SpeedCommander. I loved it when I trialed it but forced myself to uninstall it and move on. Don't recall off-hand if it does do file comparisons or not, but I would be surprised if it did not. At 38 euros to buy in, with 19 euro upgrades it's very pricey. Of course, this coming from a DOpus user  :o
-Darwin (June 05, 2008, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

SpeedCommander does folder comparison, but not single files.

Darwin:
I did check XYplorer and didn't see anything that looked like it would do the trick. However, given its excellent file searching capabilities, I'd be surprised if there weren't something there for you to play with. However, note that Don's roadmap for XYplorer includes the addition of folder synching functionality. This, coupled with the fact that I couldn't find any mention of it file comparison in the menus nor in the help file led me to conclude that this feature is not there, yet...

Darwin:
Ah... thanks for clarifying that, Dirhael. Lovely file manager, nonethelss though  :Thmbsup:

Dirhael:
Ah... thanks for clarifying that, Dirhael. Lovely file manager, nonethelss though  :Thmbsup:
-Darwin (June 05, 2008, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is, for the most part at least, but I don't use it much even though I did purchase a license not to long ago. If I wasn't so used to the enormous feature set and power of Dopus or the fantastic "portability features" of Xyplorer (SpeedCommander is slow beyond comprehension when running of a USB stick compared to most other file managers I've tried) I might have found more use for it though. That, and alternative keyboard layouts. It just doesn't help that they are using their own ideas for keyboard shortcuts for just about every single command (they're using Shift+DEL = Cut instead of Delete, CTRL+M to close tabs instead of CTRL+F4/W, F9 = Rename instead of F2...and the list goes on). What I would love to see is some alternative predefined layouts that uses something similar to what just about every single other Windows application use for common commands, because changing them individually one by one takes forever.

Still, they do make improvements with each release so perhaps someday it will become my weapon of choice :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version