ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

File Managers! Windows Explorer replacement! Come one, come all...

<< < (16/39) > >>

PhilB66:
Hi, Are there any truly 100% effective explorer replacements- i.e. such that explorer never then appears in normal use?

-dalchina (September 11, 2007, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the reviews should only look at programs that do not use the Windows API. Otherwise, you'll be looking at 'replacements' that are essentially Windows explorer in a new outfit.

PhilB66:
OK tinjaw - let me feed my ravenous toddlers and I'll create a poll while they're burping contentedly to themselves and are held captive by Dora the Explorer...
-Darwin (September 11, 2007, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

Dora's Fairytale Adventures is my kids favorite.

urlwolf:
It's apparently quite hard for an explorer replacement to really be a complete explorer replacement- i.e. to ensure explorer NEVER appears when you don't expect it.
--- End quote ---

This has more to do with how other programs call explorer.exe. There is a standard way. If they call it in a different way, then it will pop up and not be intercepted by your default file manager.

Re: wiki on filemanagers... good idea. I thought "but there's one!", but I was remembering this:
http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml

There's a BOOK on filemanagers!

That site is pretty exhaustive.
They seem to like TC.

Darwin:
Holy crap, batman! The author claims that the resource has been around for 21 years! Wow. It is comprehensive and I was entirely unaware of its existence. Thanks, urlwolf for directing us to it.

Dirhael:
OK tinjaw - let me feed my ravenous toddlers and I'll create a poll while they're burping contentedly to themselves and are held captive by Dora the Explorer...
-Darwin (September 11, 2007, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your poll better have an option called something like "I use all of the above File Managers" ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version