ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Odds Are Increasing That Microsoft's Business Will Collapse

<< < (3/3)

Paul Keith:
One thing which I don't understand but I have seen numerous people be quite happy with is doing everything with smaller screens. I am surprised to see how many people are happy to watch movies on screens as small as those on an ipod touch.
--- End quote ---

It's not so much small but the age of the extremes.

People either want "big, clear, hi-def" or "small, portable, just so I can watch it"

Really the more interesting headline that no one wants to tackle but is really the only way to tackle this subject in detail is to ask: "Which fell first? Microsoft or America?"

There's too many parallels and metaphors that can be done with that subject right now but I haven't read anyone sinking their knowledge tooth into it.

cmpm:
Speaking of just what the doctor ordered.
A ton of this technology is in health care.
I think that would be a concern of a collapse or crazy intrusion by developers.
Propriety software may become the rule for that business if developers screw up with their programs in the health industry.

Just thinking out load.

The possibility of an OS embedded in the mind is not too far fetched....maybe...lol...

A holographic desktop by blinking your eye a certain way.
Not sure about a mouse and keyboard, maybe just voice recognition....

Like I said, just thinking.
As far fetched as it may sound it could happen.

steeladept:
One thing which I don't understand but I have seen numerous people be quite happy with is doing everything with smaller screens. I am surprised to see how many people are happy to watch movies on screens as small as those on an ipod touch.
The future will be about what people accept, for so many reasons I do not want to do any computing on a netbook, even if future generation netbooks come with high end processing power I still don't get small screens.

-rgdot (June 24, 2010, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
It is simple and can be explained in one word.  Portability.  When was the last time you saw someone toting around a 65" portable screen?  No? How about a 17" laptop? Yes?  But were they happy about it?  Lugging around a 17" laptop is very heavy and annoying over time, but no one complains about a cellphone sized device.

You did hit on one observation I have noticed over the years though.  People gravitate to the extremes based on position.  They want the biggest or the smallest depending on what is important about that device.  If it is stationary, they want the biggest, most powerful widget available that fits their constraints (size, cost, etc).  If they want portability, they want it as small and lightweight as possible without compromising on purpose - again within their other constraints (primarily cost).  This is why netbooks are so quickly replacing laptops in the general consensus and why 65" widescreen LCD TV's (or bigger) are taking over the living room.  It is also why I think Mouser is having such a hard time finding viable ebook readers that fit his criteria.

<Had to put in that nod to his other post :P>

zridling:
After even thinking of getting in the phone market, much less attempting the "kin," (and then killing it soon after launch), I'd like to reiterate that Microsoft needs new management. $500mn doesn't grow on trees anymore.

What the hell is going on at Microsoft? | ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/what-the-hell-is-going-on-at-microsoft/8827?tag=mantle_skin;content

“The sudden rise and fall of the Kin is a clear pointer to the fact that Microsoft has no clear mobile strategy. The company is flailing wildly, throwing money about like it’s a solution to everything. It isn’t. the phrase that lingers in my head to describe Microsoft’s current mobile plan is “here today, gone tomorrow …”.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version