topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why I gave up on it  (Read 8068 times)

ravenlaughs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Fire From The Sky
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Why I gave up on it
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:44 PM »
I was quite enchanted by the idea, but...

1. I really never used it much because it had too many bells and whistles and options and I found that I didn't want to take the time to deal with it all when I already had MWsnap and IrfanView and... When I want a screenshot, I want a screenshot. Now. I can do lots of things with it after.

2. Bloat! Every time there was a little incremental update, I had to decide whether or not to download a ridiculously large package that was mostly the same old stuff. And I never wanted the blasted clip art! That at least should be optional and separate. Not everyone has a fast connection and drive space to waste.

So...sorry, Mouser, but I uninstalled it to make room for a few more fractals ;)
Happiness is a warm reboot

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why I gave up on it
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:46 PM »
fair enough.

i think this point is valid:
Every time there was a little incremental update, I had to decide whether or not to download a ridiculously large package that was mostly the same old stuff. And I never wanted the blasted clip art! That at least should be optional and separate. Not everyone has a fast connection and drive space to waste.

now that update support is complete, i could move all the clipart stuff to a separate bonus download.

cybernetnews

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ryan - a CyberNet News Editor
    • View Profile
    • CyberNet News
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:04 PM »
That may not be a bad idea. Create things like an "arrow" pack and a "button" pack.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I was quite enchanted by the idea, but...

1. I really never used it much because it had too many bells and whistles and options and I found that I didn't want to take the time to deal with it all when I already had MWsnap and IrfanView and... When I want a screenshot, I want a screenshot. Now. I can do lots of things with it after.

I have felt the same way about it. To be perfectly honest, the amount of features in it is pretty scary to me. I suppose it's like driving a car for the very first time, after years of riding a bicycle.

Screenshot Captor is impressive, but it's not for everyone.

Currently my needs aren't to the point where I would need something like Screenshot Captor. But it's nice to know that if/when I outgrow my old version of Snagit, that there is something with much more options & features & power, at a great price that I can afford.  :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 12:00 AM »
This is not to dismiss ravenlaughs' post, really, but... I find that screenshot captor is a great program.
I don't see bloat but flexibility and VERY useful (and easy to use) features...
I wonder : where is the bloat exactly?  :huh:
Its memory footprint is also quite small...
It's stable...
It works well...  :tellme:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:01 AM by Armando »

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:35 PM »
SC was the reason I became a member of DonationCoder, I use it everyday. While I don't use all the features (or are features now called bloatware?), its nice to have the features available when you need them.

Some users are obviously put off by the many features, but a little time spent familiarising yourself with the program gives its longterm benefits.

How many of us use over 30% of any OS/program/utilities capabilities?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Mouser - how about a 'basic/advanced user' option to remove the extra features and just leave a simple set for people with minimal needs or just learning the program?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 04:00 PM »
Mouser - how about a 'basic/advanced user' option to remove the extra features and just leave a simple set for people with minimal needs or just learning the program?

Or maybe a lite version.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Trouble with 'lite' versions is maintaining two builds - by having an option to turn of advanced features and the updating mechanism which reduces the download size it means there is only one version to maintain. It also means that a user can switch on the extra features if they find they need them without having to download and install a new version.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 04:26 PM »
Trouble with 'lite' versions is maintaining two builds - by having an option to turn of advanced features and the updating mechanism which reduces the download size it means there is only one version to maintain. It also means that a user can switch on the extra features if they find they need them without having to download and install a new version.

Or to harp on about profiles - if there were standard profiles for the basic different types of capture users could get up and running with those, and only need to delve into the more coplex stuff if they needed to  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 04:46 PM »
I'm not inclined to make a lite version (except to the extent that i wrote MiniCap, which is specialized for commandline usage).

ScreenshotCaptor is a fairly big program, which is meant to stay resident in the tray and be used by people who take a lot of screenshots.

There are many other good screenshot taking programs (free and commercial) that are more light weight and i don't think SC has much to add in this department.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 04:47 PM »

Or maybe a lite version.
Lite like it's little brother Minicap, perhaps  :-[

Edit: mouser beat me to it, damn it!! 8)