topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Not capturing Firefox 5 in "specific object" mode?  (Read 3656 times)

ErikBahama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not capturing Firefox 5 in "specific object" mode?
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I'm using Screenshot Captor v2.95.02 and having trouble with the "capture specific region" mode for Firefox. First noticed this when I upgraded to FF 4, where the 'red box' would no longer select objects within the window (eg the contents of the focused tab vs the contents of the sidebar). Workaround at that time was to capture the whole window, then crop.

Now with Firefox 5, I now just get a blank window. The title bar & borders are there, but the tab is blank (attachment 1). If I capture the whole desktop, I get the contents of the FF window, but I have to crop the resulting image to get what I want (attachment 2). Meanwhile, the capture region thing is working in other apps (example 3, Windows Explorer)

Any idea what's going on here? Have I missed a setting somewhere, do I have 2 different PCs with weird video cards, or is Firefox 5 being uncooperative with SCC?

[Edit: I'm using Windows 7 Pro at work on a Dell box with quirky onboard (?) Nvidia video, and XP at home on a home-built PC with integrated Intel video. Haven't re-checked SSC behavior on home box since upgrading to FF5. If that matters. ]

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:36 PM by ErikBahama »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Not capturing Firefox 5 in "specific object" mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14 PM »
just to confirm it's not working with FF5 on xp - the redbox doesnt show at all (does on other apps).

But I can do a regular screenshot (Active window) of FF5 and it shows everything in the window.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:41 AM »
it could be ff5 is using some kind of accelerated rendering that it bypassing the normal capture process. 

but it sounds like tomos and ErikBahama have conflicting results.

erik, are you saying that capturing the entire desktop works, but doing an active window capture does not work?  can you try changing the accelerated graphics setting in ff and see if that makes a difference?

when you capture the entire desktop -- does it at least auto-select the region of the active window?

ErikBahama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Mouser, thanks for taking a look at this.

The only app that doesn't work properly with SCC is Firefox, starting with version 4, and now with version 5 too. I can capture the whole desktop and get whatever's showing in Firefox. If I try to capture FF as the active window, I get just the window borders, no contents. Pretty much what the attachments in my first post are demonstrating.

Capture Object mode in SCC with the red box was working as expected until Firefox 4 came out -- I could get the tabs, menu bars, sidebars, and the contents of a tab; that stopped working with Firefox 4, I could only get the entire application window, and for FF5, only a blank window with borders. The red box will only come up for the whole app window, not for any objects within as it used to do for FF 3.

I can capture whatever I want in any other app with SCC, it's just the two most recent versions of Firefox that are misbehaving.

If I exit SCC and do alt-prtscr, the 'active window' capture works fine for FF.

Yes, if I capture the entire desktop, SCC auto-selects the region of the active window.

I did look at the accelerated graphics setting, and it appears to be turned off.

I'm writing docs for a web app, and the current situation isn't a showstopper, just a couple extra steps for cropping & fiddling to get to where I need to be. Everything else about SCC is awesome; the users just love the drop shadow effect :-)