topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Computer jokeware...  (Read 14623 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Computer jokeware...
« on: August 23, 2007, 02:17 PM »
JUST TO CLARIFY BEFORE YOU READ: This is NOT a malicious...project (I can't think of a better word). Its just something I want to try and see if I could do.

Hi everybody,
This is probobly one of (if not the) wierdest requests ever...BUT...
I want to make a program that jokes around with unsuspecting users and looks like a malicious program. Not a normal malware program that does actual harm, just like a proof-of-concept/"look at what I made!" bragging rights kind of thing. And no, I am not going to shove this into any of my programs or anything (as it is, I might edit it so its less badware and more jokeware).

I know the annoying run-on-startup, and maybe the "Windows is shutting down" shutdown.exe trick every once in a while, but other then that, I am out of ideas. :read: Just displaying these, not actually doing them though :) (ex: Windows is now shutting down... fake dialog).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:36 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Computer "virus"...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:51 PM »
How about one that monitors network traffic for keywords like coffee, coke, pepsi, juice, orange, milk, water, beer, whiskey and other beverage names then when it find one pops open the CD tray and displays a message on the screen, "Your *KEYWORD* holder is now available." :D

Sounds like a fun virus to me.

You could also make it a mini-keylogger to look for keywords as well. Even more fun!

As for how it spreads, well, perhaps having it install itself as a Windows service would be a fun start. That way you'd hammer people that log out but have network traffic going on when not logged in. Hmmm... What else...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:54 PM »
Joke program, not virus ;)

A virus is self replicating.

Spead the word. :D

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:02 PM »
How about one that monitors network traffic for keywords like coffee, coke, pepsi, juice, orange, milk, water, beer, whiskey and other beverage names then when it find one pops open the CD tray and displays a message on the screen, "Your *KEYWORD* holder is now available." :D

Sounds like a fun virus to me.

You could also make it a mini-keylogger to look for keywords as well. Even more fun!

As for how it spreads, well, perhaps having it install itself as a Windows service would be a fun start. That way you'd hammer people that log out but have network traffic going on when not logged in. Hmmm... What else...
The drink = CD tray opening can be done, I think I will throw it in just for laughs. :P
Joke program, not virus ;)

A virus is self replicating.

Spead the word. :D
It doesn't HAVE to be, it CAN be. ;)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Well in the categories of malware Gothi[c] is correct. Maybe you should be calling what you are toying with as jokeware or something. Tossing out names like virus ain't really going to give you bragging rights and I can't imagine mouser would be too pleased about such a discussion here.

Conquer

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:47 PM »
What language are you writing this project in? If its AHK I'd love to contribute some annoyances :) such as the floppy disk grind ;D

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 07:23 PM »
...I can't imagine mouser would be too pleased about such a discussion here.
Yea, I am a little worried about that. He (or any mod) can delete this if they want. :-\ It isn't my forum.

What language are you writing this project in? If its AHK I'd love to contribute some annoyances :) such as the floppy disk grind ;D
Yea, AHK is all I know right now. I have a basic little GUI setup, with some text and a single button, and a TrayMenu that wont work with me. Thats about it. I could post what I have up here, but right now the TrayMenu is throwing a fit and not letting me open it. >:(

Conquer

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 07:29 PM »
 :Thmbsup: AHK!  ;D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 07:38 PM »
How about a program that at random times tells you which key you pressed - but gets it WRONG by saying you hit the key next to it? Most of the time it would be silent - it could also send you (but not other people) random annoying emails to tell you your typing is crap!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 07:40 PM »
:D Yep :P
I also just finished making the little request that Renegade had above- it is kinda...freaky the first time. Ill see if I can't send it to him when he gets online.

I am not sure about the whole key press thing, that might be a tad difficult. I could make it save your e-mail address and use it, but the sending portion would be tricky... :read: :read:

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 05:38 AM »
Sending portion is easy, just use MAPI.

And please get this thread renamed so it doesn't say "virus", and state your intentions a bit better, if it's just a little joke program you want to make. There's a world of difference, and a world of pain  waiting for you if you actually wanted to write a virus.
- carpe noctem

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 06:11 AM »
what f0dder said, :-[

viruses are bad things; there is no good virus. if there was (which there isn't ;) ) it wouldn't be called a virus.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:17 AM by mitzevo »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Just checked my email, its still downloading...(after a couple minutes),

Yea, Ill rename it and edit the first post right now.

I already "wrote" it, all it does is have a little button that says "Infect computer" that generates a popup saying "Your computer is being infected" ;D
I might toss it in as part of WinFix, being a similar idea (meaningless, prank/joke program) but it wouldn't be anything badware related
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:32 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Computer jokeware...
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 04:04 AM »
Mouser actually has his own jokeware: Dr.Windows

I haven't used it in a while but it's hilarious!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Hmmm, Dr. Windows installed in the right computers could make a tech support guy rich. Hey, wreckedcarzz, if that app is "green" (that is, it doesn't leave any trace in the filesystem or the registry, as it's self-contained in its own folder) I might throw it around via IM...

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Before you start, I suggest you peruse the offerings at RJL Software, the kings of joke-ware IMHO. Make sure they haven't already done something you have an idea for, and if they have, why not try and make a better/funnier version.

Looking forward to the results...