ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone Using OmniPage and PaperPort?

<< < (3/8) > >>

J-Mac:
PaperPort supposedly is primarily for organizing a lot of documents in a quick and easily recoverable manner. Now, for all documents scattered all over, I just try to reorganize how I file them away. But I do have some projects where I could really use something that would essentially allow me to set up a kind of "Document Control and Tracking" system. If that is what is does, and if it does it fairly well, then that beats what I don't have now!  :P

At the promotional pricing, even if it is not all that, if it helps me organize these projects at all it is of some benefit.

BTW, I do have One Note 2007 and it is great for clippings and notes, though I have seen some say that they use One Note to track all kinds of documents. I don't know how they are doing that, though. If anyone cares to expand on that, I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Jim

Darwin:
PDF Professional 4 is a a quantum leap over version 3, J-Mac. It's much more stable, much quicker rendering pages, and integrates better with Office. It also plays nice wtih other third party software, something that drove me batty with version 3 (I *think* it was WindowBlinds 5 and Tenebril's SpyCatcher that sent it into a spin every time)...

patteo:
I'm using Omnipage Pro 14. It can convert PDF to text.

I think basically it does that by scanning PDF as an image.

Actually, the recognition is quite good whether for scanning pages of PDFs. The retention of the page formatting is not fantastic though. But that did not quite matter for me.

Perhaps it's to do with tweaking the settings.

But one thing that keeps me from upgrading is that I reckon Omnipage Pro 14 is that it is good enough for my purposes.

The other thing is that Omnipage Pro 16 and probably all their other products require me to activate the products.

I'm always a bit leery activation of this since, from time to time I have to reinstall, or wipe my harddisk clean and do a fresh install. And besides I'm thinking, what if I upgrade my computer or for that matter if my computer dies. Do I have to beg them to allow me to move to another laptop.

Activation would be fine for me provided they have a properly set up system to allow me to deactivate and move to another computer to activate again. I doubt they have a such a system.

I don't want to beg them for an activation code each time I have to move on. What if the company shuts down or even drop the product. Of course if the software is absolute must have type then I don't really have a choice then.

So the present version is fine with me.

patteo:
PDF Converter 4 is scheduled to show up on Bits du Jour tomorrow. I don't know what the discount will be.

-edbro (August 28, 2007, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes Bitsdujour timing puts a lot of pressure on you to make a decision you would later regret.

If you are in no great hurry, you may wish to check out
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/nuance.com

But do take note that they do not always work. So it's a gamble I guess

tomos:
I believe
PDF Converter converts PDFs to text
PDF Converter Pro does that & creates PDFs as well (& possibly more..)

just to clarify, there seemed to be some confusion above between the two  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version