ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I wanna hurt this guy!

<< < (3/8) > >>

f0dder:
justice: dropping rights does help, but there's still local privilege elevation exploits to worry about; I wouldn't recommend anybody to run outlook express (or anything else using the IE rendering engine).

With (the freeware version of) AntiSpam Sniper for The Bat, I've had 8776 identified and 254 unidentified spam messages since March 4... that's less than 3% spam going through, pretty okay imho. With the full version, it offers access to some spam lists etc., which would probably get it close to 100% identified.

iphigenie:
I have spammers sending spam using one of my domains, and it seems there's nothing I can do. I even set up SPF in DNS, which says which only machines are ever going to send legitimate mail for my domain, but almost nobody checks these :(

I do get swamped with the postmaster notifications and the occasional hate mail or mail bomb back. To which I usually respond as abusively as the sender mailed me (starts at "you muppet, did you really think the spammers are using their own domain? you just insulted another victim and since you are in their database it seems likely they will use yours too. See how you like it when you get the nasty mail" to much much worse depending on what they sent me)

Not fun

Anyway SPF can help you there - technically no matter what domain you are using you should be able to configure (or get the ISP to configure) so it sets all the legitimate mail servers that may send mail from your domain/address. Then you should be able to set your client to check this - thus refusing spam in your name which doesnt come from the right origin.

Curt:
Thank you, friends, for all the advices; I really appreciate it.  :up:

However, if you please will forgive me saying so, In my little mind you are all kind of missing the point, because I gave too little informations. I have SPAMfighter installed, and it is so good that less than ONE spam mail per day or even per week will get through the filter (sensitivity: Normal)- I receive some twenty to thirty mails a day + DonationCoder + RSS. You have suggested little improvements, if any. How does one block a mail that has my own email address in the "From" box? I am not going to block my own email address (my email address may of course be blocked, but not ME, if you know what I mean, I still wanna be able to mail myself), and I am not going to have some third party filter decide what kind of content I can send to myself!

Edit: I must admit that I didn't understand what iphigenie told me to do.
What is SPF?

PhilB66:
Are you saying that a third party is sending emails out using your address so that it would appear they came from you?

Curt:
I have no garantee if he was sending to me only or to many, but Yes, he is sendning mails to at least me using my email address in the "From" box - see image in initial post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version