ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where'd my video memory go?

<< < (3/3)

Darwin:
OK I googled this. Looks like your card uses ATI's "hypermemory", which is discussed here (in relation to the X1400, which is the same as your chip but one step "up").

seedling:
yeah, sounds like what you were saying before (64mb vid memory, the rest allocated on demand from system)

it's very misleading how they market this. hell, even my system's report on this is misleading as hell [see attached pics]

oh well, at least I know what's going on now.

Thanks for your help :)

Darwin:
No problem! It took some digging to find out what is going on, didn't it? It is kind of misleading and ATI's website is a waste of time as far as answering any questions that one might have!

seedling:
once you mentioned hypermemory, I got that sinking sensation.  Found ati's (salespitch)site for this thing:

http://ati.amd.com/technology/hypermemory.html

I'm not a gamer so I'm not really up on the latest, greatest video cards.  All I knew was that I didn't want shared memory to slow things down when I am working, so I took this option.  Still better than outright shared memory, but not at all what I 'thought' I was getting.

I guess the lesson is just live and learn... oh, and don't forget to read about things you don't know ;)

Thanks again for your help :)

lanux128:
yes, shared memory is a lousy way to market the product.. the same thing happened when i bought an all-integrated PC (vga, sound, etc..) many years ago.. since then, i always insisted on a separate graphics cards.. and just for comparison, check this desktop system (512MB) with integrated graphics memory (32MB) but in this case, the graphics does not change on-demand, it has to be set in the BIOS..

Systems Memory - shows only 480Mb instead of 512Mb

Integrated Graphics Memory

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version