topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BookMooch - exchange your used books  (Read 6832 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
BookMooch - exchange your used books
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:42 PM »
This sounds great to me; i like how straightforward it is.

BookMooch is a community for exchanging used books.
BookMooch lets you give away books you no longer need in exchange for books you really want.

Give & receive: Every time you give someone a book, you earn a point and can get any book you want from anyone else at BookMooch. Once you've read a book, you can keep it forever or put it back into BookMooch for someone else, as you wish.

No cost: there is no cost to join or use this web site: your only cost is mailing your books to others.

Points for entering books: you receive a tenth-of-a-point for every book you type into our system, and one point each time you give a book away. In order to keep receiving books, you need to give away at least one book for every two you receive.

Help charities: you can also give your points to charities we work with, such as children's hospitals (so a sick kid can get a free book delivered to their bed), Library fund, African literacy, or to us to thank us for running this web site <grin>.

World wide: BookMooch is not just for Americans. You can request books from other countries, in other languages. You receive 2 points when you send a book out of your country, to help compensate you for the greater mailing cost. John Buckman, who runs BookMooch, lives both in California and London, England, and was frustrated by the vast number of books that were printed in just one country but not any another, or only after several years. Translations into French, German and other languages are planned, and we already work fine with the various Amazon worldwide databases.

Wishlist: you can keep a "book wish list" that will automatically arrive to you when you have the points and/or the book becomes available in our catalog. Others earn 2 points if they supply a book on your wishlist, so everyone is highly motivated to help find books others are looking for.

All books: our goal is to make more use out of all books, to help keep books from becoming unavailable. The worst thing that can happen to a book is for no-one to be able to read it.

Feedback score: each time you receive a book, you can leave feedback with the sender, just like how eBay does it. If you keep your feedback score up, people are most likely to help you out when you ask for a book.

How we pay our bills: We tap into Amazon's book database, and if you follow an Amazon link from our web site, we receive a commission from Amazon if you buy that book instead of getting it free from BookMooch.

from www.boingboing.com

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BookMooch - exchange your used books
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Cool idea. Just wish I spent much time reading books anymore... :P

- Oshyan

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 04:48 AM »
Interesting idea, but I'd be more interested if it there were a more UK-centred version.  On the other hand, we do have the BookBarn.

I see BookMooch is a brainchild of the John Buckman, who wrote the best but now very out of date group review of outliners/notekeepers.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 04:53 AM »
rjbull maybe you need to drop him a line and tell him to stop by and contribute to the notetaking thread  :up:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:05 AM »
rjbull maybe you need to drop him a line and tell him to stop by and contribute to the notetaking thread  :up:

I e-mailed him in August 2004 with some thoughts on his page, mainly programs he hadn't included.  He sent me a courteous reply but never updated it.  I'd be surprised if he feels he has the time to get involved here...

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 09:26 PM »
http://www.bookins.com/index.php
This is another site with similar goals.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:32 AM »
Just to revive this old thing, i use bookmooch and enjoy it very much. I enjoy not "wasting" my books anymore and I feel very adventurous "mooching" books which I might not dare buy. But it feels different when it's someone's old book. Or some poor unread book abandoned gathering dust hoping for someone to rescue it from oblivion  ;)

See my sig v