ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New interesting features for Firefox 3

<< < (5/6) > >>

Dirhael:
I hope the betas get better, or it'll go IE route pretty soon.
-Lashiec (September 14, 2007, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
IE7 is hardly any better than firefox... even seems slower to me, which I thought was impossible >_<

-f0dder (September 16, 2007, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is true in my experience as well, but on the other hand you have IE-based browsers like Maxthon which doesn't seem to suffer the same problem...so it's probably not the IE engine in itself that makes IE7 feel so slow, but rather the GUI.

Lashiec:
Well, Trident is really slow compared to Gecko and Presto, but I'm fairly impressed with the browser as a whole (the GUI looks fast to me). They really fixed their way since IE6, and implemented nice features like QuickTabs. It really needs some work in the layout engine, and a redesign of the options screen (a mere paint job won't hide its defects), but overall it's a improvement from the previous version. Some people even changed from Firefox 2 to IE7 (yes, I'm also surprised).

f0dder:
Heh, changed from FF2 to IE7? I couldn't do that... there's a really noticable lag when opening a new tab in IE7, it's in no way instantaneous... FF2 almost is.

jgpaiva:
[offtopic]
Heh, changed from FF2 to IE7? I couldn't do that... there's a really noticable lag when opening a new tab in IE7, it's in no way instantaneous... FF2 almost is.
-f0dder (September 17, 2007, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Another interesting note on IE7's stupidity:
On non-english versions of XP, the keys for opening/closing tabs are changed from ctrl+t/ctrl+w to a regionalized setting. In portuguese, it's "ctrl-s" for opening tabs (which are called "separadores".)
Notice how the ctrl-s for save is also changed to ctrl-g (since "save" means "guardar).

I think it's just a stupid decision, forces you to pay attention to what programs are in what languages and use different keyboard shortcuts accordingly!  >:( >:( >:(

[/offtopic]

Lashiec:
Interesting enough, the shortcuts in the Spanish version are like the ones in the English one... Hmmm, but well, the issue you mention also happens with Windows, and some "localized" apps. I think they should standardize these kind of things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version