ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New interesting features for Firefox 3

<< < (3/6) > >>

f0dder:
But I think this is unavoidable — a flexible and low-entry extension system that doesn't need compiling will be fat and heavy resource-wise.
-nontroppo (September 11, 2007, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why? There's no law of nature requiring this... the coders just need to pay a bit more attention and focus on efficiency than eye-candy. More interesting anyway.

nontroppo:
Why? There's no law of nature requiring this... the coders just need to pay a bit more attention and focus on efficiency than eye-candy. More interesting anyway.-f0dder (September 11, 2007, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think lots of very gifted developers work(ed) on Mozilla, and in 9 years of constant hacking they have got to where Firefox is now with Firefox 3 (XUL recieves considerable attention I believe). Being cross-platform, and using XML+JS+CSS as your base simply can't get where native code can. But the tradeoff is a flexible platform non-programmers can pick-up where OS doesn't matter. With infinite dev resources I'm sure they would get further, but I don't think Mozilla was/is practically resource starved.

Now, if they'd just used Lua...  8)

Lashiec:
Moar features! They've just post a mockup of the long awaited "Places" functionality in the Mozilla wiki. Here you have the boring details, for those who don't want to see the mockup ;D, and here the actual mockup, for those wishing to skip the useless jabbering of the wiki (hey, if you're not a Firefox developer, you shouldn't be seeing this ;)). Looks pretty cool, although it strikes a strong resemblance of certain Microsoft application...

cybernetnews:
Moar features! They've just post a mockup of the long awaited "Places" functionality in the Mozilla wiki. Here you have the boring details, for those who don't want to see the mockup ;D, and here the actual mockup, for those wishing to skip the useless jabbering of the wiki (hey, if you're not a Firefox developer, you shouldn't be seeing this ;)). Looks pretty cool, although it strikes a strong resemblance of certain Microsoft application...
-Lashiec (September 12, 2007, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Don't get me wrong...I love Mozilla. But part of their problem is that their interface mockup designer, Alex Faaborg, is overly talented and often gets people too excited about what may come in Firefox. In the end I don't think the stuff looks quite as good as what he initially designed.

Carol Haynes:
Wasn't the whole point of Firefox that it was to be a lean, mean, browsing machine?

As I remember it was designed to replace Netscape and Mozilla so why are they devloping it to death and creating yet another bloatfest?

To my mind the memory footprint issues with Firefox is less of a problem than the speed and CPU grabbing issues. With an Athlon64 X2 4600 CPU the browser shouldn't need to use up to 50% of CPU cycles fairly regularly during use. My last CPU was often pushed to 90-100% for extended periods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version