ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A new technology for optical discs

<< < (2/2)

BinderDundat:
I once saw an estimate (admittedly about 10 years back) that the entire library of Congress could be stored in about 3 Terabytes.  The only problem is getting the data onto the disk.  Optical scanning is still far from 100% reliable and entry by hand would take decades or even centuries for proper data verification.  Then there is the question of retrieving information hidden in such a vast haystack.  Hopefully, the creators of disks with such capacities would index the information somehow.  You've heard of RoboHelp?  Well we need a RoboIndex function.  Google Desktop Search?  Maybe an index based on GDS could be included with the disk?  I recall seeing an announcement that a prototype of the terabyte disks would be available by early next year.  Unfortunately, it can only hold 300 Gb! 

f0dder:
You wouldn't/shouldn't use optical discs for a massive data collection, imho... better to use a massively redundant RAID.

Armando:
You wouldn't/shouldn't use optical discs for a massive data collection, imho... better to use a massively redundant RAID.
-f0dder (September 23, 2007, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree!
Optical media : good for multiple backup of archives, maybe (and only if it's cost effective)
I've opted for Hard Drives ONLY after having too many problems (speed + data loss) with optical media.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version