topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: kinda reinstall xp without reinstalling it - possible?  (Read 2768 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
kinda reinstall xp without reinstalling it - possible?
« on: August 27, 2007, 06:33 AM »
madness perhaps but i wonder if there is a method of resetting xp back to its basic first time installation - without wiping the hard drive and reinstalling as you would normally do.

the reason is, i originally had quite a bit of trouble getting my raid floppy disk accepted by xp when doing the install about 18 months ago (i think it's the floppy drive - but i couldn't get the driver to work from a cd either). i can't remember how much of a nightmare it was but i'd hate to find myself trying to do it all over again and second time around not succeeding.

so, is it possible to clear all the crap out of my current xp installation so that it pretty much resembles a fresh install. that is, clean the registry and system folders, drivers, whatever, so that everything appears clean and fresh. then i'll start installing the stuff i want.

i normally have a backup image of my operating system just after i've installed it but, for some unknown reason, i appear to have deleted it.

anyway, is it possible or will attempting this cleaning process lead to more troubles later on?