ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

ok finally about to do a round of work on Process Tamer - make your requests now

<< < (3/4) > >>

cartooncraze:
My main reason for using Process Tamer is to allocate as much PC resources as possible while running DVD Shrink. If I have a bunch of processes running while I am burning a DVD, it frequently will burn with errors. Being sick of stopping and closing all other programs and disconnecting from the internet, I longed for a program that would give resource hungry video editing programs the cpu resources that they need while in use. If you could make a one click program priority feature that would automatically restrict all uneeded processes to free up as much cpu as possible, this would be a great addition! I even think that this could be written and marketed as a seperate program aimed soley as a companion to video editing programs.

mouser:
i think you have a good idea there cartoon - and i think i might add such a feature to process tamer.
very good idea.
so like a simple menu command that lets you pick an app to get full priority until it finishes.

for waht you want however, an easy solution is just to set a rule in process tamer to always run your dvd app at high priority.
that should accomplish what you want.

Carol Haynes:
It is a good idea ...

Actually, Mouser, it isn't that simple ... if you run CD/DVD writer apps a high priority they can fail. I'm not sure why but I have had a few coasters from this (when I furst started using PT this is precisely what I did) and found a reference to the problem somewhere which said don't adjust process priority higher on burning apps as it may actually make problems worse.

I think it was something to do with system bottlenecks but I can't be sure, and I can't remember where the article was. I think it may have been on ulead's site.

mouser:
that's quite strange, i've never heard of such a thing and i'm not sure when that would be the case..
if you find the pointer to it do post.

so what then would you suggest we do?
have a way to tell process tamers to set all other processes to low priority?  theoretically the effect should not be much different, except if somehow the dvd writing app is shelling out the execution of other programs which are suffering when the burning app itself is set at high priority..

one thing to look for in that case is if the cd/dvd burning app actually launches a second program to do the actual burning - in which case you'd want to make sure you add a rule to force THAT program to high priority always, rather than the main user interface program.

Carol Haynes:
I have spent a while looking for the article ... no luck, all I can find are articles suggesting precisely what you said ...

Oh well another brainstorm ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version