topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: my system has stopped following shortcuts (!)  (Read 3644 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
my system has stopped following shortcuts (!)
« on: August 24, 2007, 09:10 AM »
I have no words to describe how frustrating it's been for me to miserably waste most of my last week configuring my laptop. And this is a task that cannot be delegated   :down:

One of the last things I did was to install firstDefense-ISR (bought two licenses! thanks DC discount!).

I copied most of my shortcuts to portable applications (I have them all in a 'portable' directory). Now my system has stopped following these shortcuts (!).

I have no idea how to go from here...
Are shortcuts computer-specific? Note that I have the exact same partition label (e:) and paths... No idea why it doesn't work...

Thanks

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: my system has stopped following shortcuts (!)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Out of curiosity, have you changed the label for the partition recently (I recall from other threads that you wanted to get rid of a partition). Anyway, the reason I ask is that even if you request that your partition management software redirect shortcuts and so on if it is re-assigning partition labels, it ofen misses key assignments. This happened to me a year ago when reassigning my data partition's label. I'd check a random shortcut's path to make sure it's pointing to e:\... and not f:\... or g:\...

Just a shot in the dark. Good luck!

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:22 AM »
More evidence.
It's only TC and an ahk program called activ'aid that cannot follow shortcuts. Weird.

I did change labels, but I reinstalled the OS since then. I don't think that's a problem.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:43 AM »
I'd look in the registry (I use Resplendent Registry Manager to do this - it has an awesome search function) for references to both these apps and see if there is anything about shortcuts. I'll bet there are and that they're set to look in either the wrong or a non-existent partition and, because they're not finding what they're looking for, not doing anything. This is what I had to resort to doing to fix my computer when I had a similar problem related to changed a partition label.

Of course, this assumes that you're comfortable modifying your registry. Make sure you export any keys that you edit (before you edit them!).

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:02 PM »
urlwolf, is there any messages when you double-click the shortcuts? just like Darwin mentioned, check in the registry under the LNK key. here is something i found on the web:  http://en.allexperts...hortcuts-Working.htm :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:11 PM »
found another possible solution from this treasure trove - dougknox.com 8). Check the main page for easy restoration of default behaviour for other file-types..

here is direct link to the one that will be of interest to you..
LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

Source: http://www.dougknox.com/