ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

perl.exe

<< < (4/6) > >>

mouser:
that's surely it
now the only question is, could the problem be solved by either running PT2 as a system service or by forcing perl to run as a different user..

mouser:
ben,

what i'm more concerned about at the moment is the high cpu usage of ProcessTamerTray.exe in your screenshots(!).

te ProcessTamerConfigurator.exe is the gui configuration utility that only runs when you configuring it, and its not very efficient, so it can show some pretty high cpu when your using it and that doesn't matter.

but ProcessTamerTray.exe should *never* show such high cpu usage.  On my machine its pegged at 0% cpu except maybe for the brief instant when it tames something and reports it, in which case it might hit 1% briefly.

im thinking it might be trying to change the priority of php.exe or perl.exe and is constantly failing and retrying..
there is code in process tamer to mark a process as "unchangeable" when it fails to change its priority but it may not be working in this case.  can you do a little investigating to see if that ProcessTamerTray.exe cpu usage goes back to 0 if you set the explicit rule for perl and php to blank (ie remove it), and do a little experimenting to see what settings make your ProcessTamerTray.exe go above 0 cpu usage.

to reiterate:
if ProcessTamerTray.exe should stay steady at 0% except for brief instants when it tames an app.  anything sustained over 0% means something is wrong that i need to fix.  (ProcessTamerConfigurator.exe is something different and may use high cpu for periods of time).

benwylie:
The setup i am running is basically an awful lot for the hardware i have and perhaps this might be causing the high cpu usage. This is only a 450 MHz machine running many processes. I don't know how PT works, but if it is running a lot of processes presumably it will use a lot of cpu and as the total cpu available is small, the total amount it will use is likely to be larger in proportion.

Normally it is pretty stable at 0 or 1%, sometimes going to 2%. The times when i have seen it go higher are when someone is viewing a php page and there is a lot of work for it to do. PT cpu usage goes high, even if i have set a specific rule to ignore php.exe as far as i can see.

Running PT as a service does solve the perl.exe problem, as it can now change the priority of processes running as SYSTEM or Administrator. It still fails to change php.exe running under IUSR_SERVER, but i wouldn't know where to begin to find out how i might overcome this, except by changing the user which is used for people viewing web pages, which for security reasons i wouldn't do.

Thanks again for your help,

Ben

mouser:
PT2 should not go high cpu usage regardless of what php is doing, people reading pages, etc.
I'm going to look into this tonight after i finish today's review.  there is no excuse for ProcessTamer cpu usage to ever get as high as it was showing.  if you set rules for php/perl to IGNORE, do you still see the high cpu usage for ProcessTamerTray.exe?

benwylie:
Here you go - you can see php.exe set to ignore, and CPU usage by PT up to 6%

perl.exe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version