ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Computer jokeware...

(1/4) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
JUST TO CLARIFY BEFORE YOU READ: This is NOT a malicious...project (I can't think of a better word). Its just something I want to try and see if I could do.

Hi everybody,
This is probobly one of (if not the) wierdest requests ever...BUT...
I want to make a program that jokes around with unsuspecting users and looks like a malicious program. Not a normal malware program that does actual harm, just like a proof-of-concept/"look at what I made!" bragging rights kind of thing. And no, I am not going to shove this into any of my programs or anything (as it is, I might edit it so its less badware and more jokeware).

I know the annoying run-on-startup, and maybe the "Windows is shutting down" shutdown.exe trick every once in a while, but other then that, I am out of ideas. :read: Just displaying these, not actually doing them though :) (ex: Windows is now shutting down... fake dialog).

Renegade:
How about one that monitors network traffic for keywords like coffee, coke, pepsi, juice, orange, milk, water, beer, whiskey and other beverage names then when it find one pops open the CD tray and displays a message on the screen, "Your *KEYWORD* holder is now available." :D

Sounds like a fun virus to me.

You could also make it a mini-keylogger to look for keywords as well. Even more fun!

As for how it spreads, well, perhaps having it install itself as a Windows service would be a fun start. That way you'd hammer people that log out but have network traffic going on when not logged in. Hmmm... What else...

Gothi[c]:
Joke program, not virus ;)

A virus is self replicating.

Spead the word. :D

wreckedcarzz:
How about one that monitors network traffic for keywords like coffee, coke, pepsi, juice, orange, milk, water, beer, whiskey and other beverage names then when it find one pops open the CD tray and displays a message on the screen, "Your *KEYWORD* holder is now available." :D

Sounds like a fun virus to me.

You could also make it a mini-keylogger to look for keywords as well. Even more fun!

As for how it spreads, well, perhaps having it install itself as a Windows service would be a fun start. That way you'd hammer people that log out but have network traffic going on when not logged in. Hmmm... What else...
-Renegade (August 23, 2007, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
The drink = CD tray opening can be done, I think I will throw it in just for laughs. :P
Joke program, not virus ;)

A virus is self replicating.

Spead the word. :D
-Gothi[c] (August 23, 2007, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
It doesn't HAVE to be, it CAN be. ;)

Eóin:
Well in the categories of malware Gothi[c] is correct. Maybe you should be calling what you are toying with as jokeware or something. Tossing out names like virus ain't really going to give you bragging rights and I can't imagine mouser would be too pleased about such a discussion here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version