ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Life without XP SP2 - is it possible?

<< < (6/13) > >>

Darwin:
Ha ha... that was one of my pet peeves about Cirond Winc, too. It insisted (despite my telling it to do otherwise a variety of ways, not least of which in its options dialog) on starting maximized. My mother in law consistently closed it on system start and then came to me to fix the Internet (if Winc isn't running it disables the wireless card - at least under Win2k). The D-Link utility is quite good, too.

lanux128:
Have never heard of this program before but now giving it a shot on your good word.
I trust people here at DC.   :Thmbsup:-dantheman (August 23, 2007, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
much appreciated.. :)

Update: after installing CPUidle the indicator showed 98 to 99% and it was CPUidle itself the culprit.
Even after reboot it remained same.-dantheman (August 23, 2007, 07:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
i think Carol answered this for me so root of the problem lies elsewhere.. will let you know if i came across anything..

dantheman:
Yep. CPUidle seems to be doing it's thing just fine.
Not yet 100% convinced that it will make my computer life much longer though.
Nothing about this software from Snapfiles nor CNet.

HP finally decided to change the hard drive after quite a few months of "labour".
One of those things i hope never happens to anyone.
When your computer goes away for 3 whole months... Naw, i won't get into that one.

Still back to square one.

-Have no way to remove Broadcom.
-Have installed all latest updates for XP Home except SP2.
-Dlink is working fine at keeping me logged on to local Network but line still sporadically falls from the internet (other pc's do not) without word of notice.

Darwin:
Good morning, Dan! By "Have no way to remove Broadcom" do you mean that you id'd it in the Control Panel/Program Files folder/running processes? If so, there's two thing to try:

-If the Control Panel applet is there (for Broadcom), try using either it or the Broadcom utility itself to disable the Broadcom utility from configuring you wireless connection.
-Alternative, try unchecking "Use Windows to Configue my wireless network settings" (top of the tab in your second screenshot, earlier post) and see if you are still connected afterward. You *might* have to reboot to see if this works. If it does not, go back to that tab and re-check the option (and unfortunately, probably have to reboot again... but give it a minute in both instances before rebooting - sometimes it just take time).

Carol Haynes:
I don't know how Broadcom drivers work but with Netgear when you install the drivers you are given the option of using Netgear's applet or Windows Connection Manager - you also get this option if you update drivers.

Dan, have you checked Broadcom's website for new drivers for your WiFi interface? Most companies update these regularly and they may have fixed dropping connections issues.

Failing that borrow a USB interace from someone and try that for a while or try a cheap USB WiFi 'thumb' adapter or a PCMIA card adapter to find out if it is the Broadcom hardware causing the problems. You can configure a new adapter without upsetting the settings for the Broadcom adapter (you will just get two alternate WiFi connections in Windows Conncetion Manager page when you install a new adapter).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version