ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Outpost - why do I bother ... or am I just paranoid!

<< < (2/2)

Carol Haynes:
Anyone tried the free PCTools firewall (from the developers of PCTools Spyware doctor)?

Armando:
Hi carol! I haven't tryed PCTools, but I can share my experience with firewalls and antiviruses.

Like ken, I've been looking for a antivirus/firewall solution (see Seeking opinions about combination antivirus/firewall products) and after trying Outpost, Kaspersky and others, I've decided to come back to my beloved NOD32 and, finally... Comodo. I dismissed it at first, but Comodo is okay, and certainly has a good reputation for outbound filtering and leaking prevention.
One problem I had (and still have — but it’s now under control) with Comodo is with the "dll injections" monitoring. This has caused my CPU to go a bit crazy... so I've disabled the feature for now. Seems like an ok compromise because NOD32 already does great job at detecting suspicious activity.

One other small annoyance happens when I update software (usually FARR, these days...  :P ). It will NOT register and remember the permission i give to specific child applications. The cure is only to shut down the applications that were affected by the updated parent (farr…) application (updating farr will affect all the permissions for the applications it opens). I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly -- English is hard tonight, don't know why...

All in all, it's probably the best firewall I've had... Especially that it's free!

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - I haven't tried Comodo - last time I was looking for a firewall I installed and uninstalled so many I screwed up my system. In the end I gave up looking and settled for Windows XP built in firewall. I am also behind a router firewall so I feel reasonably 'hidden' from view.

If I can summon up the courage I might have a look at Comodo.

I already use NOD32 - and yes I think that is really good. I am a bit surprised though that ESET seem to have given up on updates for NOD32 - there hasn't been one for many months (apart from pattern files). Presumably they are working to hard on the unwanted mega suite they seem to be planning!

Grorgy:
I had a hard time uninstalling Comodo, i don't really know how good it is or otherwise, it does well on the tests apparently, but it was far too 'noisy' for me, but it left so much stuff behind in registry that I couldn't get windows to accept that it had gone and Kaspersky was there (I went for the suite, just laziness mainly lol).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version