topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Does my future pc suck ?  (Read 16113 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does my future pc suck ?
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05 AM »
looks like a good choice from the reviews  :up:

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that i'm currently posting from my new pc :-* I'd like to thank you for taking some time to give me precious advices.

So finally i chose : Asus M2N SLI Deluxe + AMD Dual core X2 6000+ + 4gb RAM + Seagate Barracuda 160go + GeForce 7600 + Asus Silent Knight (damn this thing is huge).

I'm happy with it, i didn't really test it yet, but i can feel the difference from my laptop during casual use. FARR scans my music collection in a blink of an eye  :-*

I didn't buy the screen yet because i'm still hesitating. I just saw that IIyama is about to sell a 24" screen (IIYama B2403WS) with 2000:1 contrast ratio for about 500€, which is not very expensive, especially compared to Samsung Syncmaster 971P. My hesitation comes from the fact that it uses a TN film and i'm not sure weither it makes a big difference or not (reviews says this screen offers excellent image and color display).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:47 AM by ak_ »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Well, I'm disappointed that you went for the nVidia card (and a 7600 as well :(), but I presume you did it so save some bucks. I suppose you're running Vista, aren't you? ;). More bashing for you ;D, what case and supply are you using? Sorry to be so insistent, but I'm like that with computer hardware.

Otherwise, very good components there. The mainboard (personal experience) and the CPU are excellent, so is the cooler (one of the best choices in the market).

The screen... well, I suppose it's a good option. IIyama was always considered as a quality hardware company, and if the reviews say it's a good option, you can't go wrong. I suppose nudone would know better than me, as I'm happy with your average 250€ TFT panel.

EDIT: Typos and better expression
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:30 PM by Lashiec »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 12:26 PM »
the iiyama monitor sounds good - the price sounds crazy. i see that you can disable the 2000:1 contrast to provide greater colour accuracy (yet another example of this weird above 1000:1 ratios where things don't quite add up, i.e. bigger numbers equal less accuracy - bizarre).

for the prices i've seen i'm tempted to buy one just for the sakes of getting a bargain. i wouldn't even need to take it out of the box to feel satisfied. the eizo model i've got is the 24" 1920x1200 res thing and i can imagine that this iiyama will be identical (same samsung screen i bet) but for a third of what i payed.

what an insane bargain, and i'm trying to justify why i should buy one - two 24" screens would surely be an over indulgence. hmm, maybe. :-\

oh, and congratulations on the birth of your new machine  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:28 PM by nudone »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Congrats - looks like a good line up now.

nVidia 7600 is fine (IMHO) if you aren't a big gamer.

Why did you go for a 160Gb drive? It seems to me that a lot of the larger drives are much better value these days. You may not need the space today but the way things go things fill up rapidly! The way MS is going the next version of Windows will probably need 80Gb just to install!

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Lashiec> well, i'm not a big gamer at all, so i don't need a great graphic card right now. If i ever want to go for something better, i guess i'll get another SLI card (that explains why i went for a nVidia card). NO i'm not running Vista, i don't want to, no right now. I'm fine with XP and if one day i really wanna do something that can only be done in Vista, maybe i'll switch. I'm using a "Suza Advance JUPITER 8005" case (maybe it'll ring a bell, i chose it because it was cheap and seemed nice :D) with a 480W power supply (i've been told it could be insufficient, we'll see...).

nudone> oh well, if you already own a 24" monitor, you'll be able to answer this : is it ok to use it on a normal distance, or do you have it to place it far away from you so it won't hurt your eyes ? I don't have much space so the question is important :) And what do you say about TN film, do you think it's ok or is it reeaaaally important to get a PVA one ?

carol> well, 160gb seems really ok to me, if i ever need more space i'll get another disk :D

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Well, SLI is a lost case if you ask me, but it's your opinion, I won't mess with it :Thmbsup:

I was asking for Vista because you know 4 GB support is a bit tricky under XP. I think you could handle Photoshop with just 2 GB, well, you SHOULD handle Photoshop, or more precisely, the software should accommodate to that, it's not Crysis we're talking about, damn Adobe...

And that case has back and front fans? As long as it has one of those, no problem. That PSU should be more than enough, mine is a 430W model, and my rig is a bit beefier, except for the CPU, as yours take a bit more juice than mine. Of course, if it's a cheap one... well... mouser experiences could tell you the possible outcome :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 02:37 PM »
my face is about 24 to 30 inches away from the screen depending on how i'm sitting. i don't think i'd be happy to move it further away and i could probably work with it being a bit nearer - but nearer would probably feel uncomfortable. all i know for sure is that my eye strain is nothing like it was before i had this monitor.

the only comment i can really make about TN film is that i would hope that it has progressed and so wouldn't be a problem. but i suppose that explains the price of the monitor.

i think viewing angles are pretty irrelevant as you'll be sat directly in front of the screen. colour reproduction, hmm, well, it's not going to be perfect no matter what so maybe that's not too big a deal either.

the eizo i'm i'm looking at is pva so that obviously means that the iiyama screen is a different samsung model - not the original bargain i was hoping for then.

if you can, i recommend trying to see the monitor up and working before you buy it. maybe you can find it in a big computer shop and do a comparison with the other screens on display. i think it will be obvious whether it looks good or not - flesh tones are usually a good indication of how bad the monitor is as you will instinctively know what looks right or not - well, that's what i tend to find anyway.

could you buy from somewhere that you could send it back if you weren't happy with it? Carol usually reminds us of the regulations - i can never remember. i would guess that France offers better consumer regulations than the UK.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 02:51 PM »
The UK enforces Distance Selling Rules which allow someone to send any product back for a refund with a few days if not satisfied (I think it is within either 8 or 10 days of receipt). The only exceptions are perishable goods (like food), unsealed CDs and DVDs which can be copied (or watched like a loan film) and a few other exceptions. You have to give notice that you intend to return the item and pay the return postage (unless it is faulty in which case the supplier has to pay).

See http://www.dti.gov.u...e-selling/index.html for government info. I think similar rules apply throughout the EU but you need to check individual countries for variations.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:52 PM by Carol Haynes »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 05:51 AM »
I'm puzzled you went with and AMD64x2 instead of core2duo, since money doesn't seem to have been your biggest concern; around here, I could have gotten a E6550 for the same price as the 6000+. But oh well, it's going to be a decent enough machine anyway.

GeForce 7600 is a pretty decent card, relatively fast but not one of the monster power consumers. I'm fond of my fanless one, and I certainly like the NV drivers a lot more than the buggy stuff from ATI :)

If i ever want to go for something better, i guess i'll get another SLI card (that explains why i went for a nVidia card).
-ak_
You do need the second card to be exactly the same as the first card, though, don't you? Might be difficult finding that once you get to the point where you need the extra performance. Of course you can always get a new (or two new ;)) cards then, but then it defeats the "economic" aspect of SLI.

I do run a SLI motherboard myself, but that's only because it was the only fanless motherboard available at the time that was also stable.

4gb shouldn't a problem under XP, not under the 32bit version either, you just won't be able to have a single app use all the memory.
- carpe noctem