ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Does my future pc suck ?

<< < (5/7) > >>

f0dder:
Hm, around here (Denmark) you can get a Core2Duo E6550 for the same price as an AMD64x2 6000+ - I'd definitely go for the c2d model, even if the motherboard will be a bit more expensive... and they don't seem to be much more expensive actually, especially considering you'll be getting an intel chipset (<3 RAID Matrix).

I'm staying away from ATI because of their horrible drivers, and nvidia seems to be decent enough speedwise. And if you compare the DX10 series of cards, well, bye-bye ATI.

Personally, I suggest getting 3 or 4 (if possible) and make them a striped array.  This gives a small (though not insignificant) performance boost especially with photoshop, while giving you a better chance at recovery if one goes bad (if two go at the same time you are still screwed though, so never use this in place of a good backup strategy!)
-steeladept
--- End quote ---
You mean a stripe+mirror combo, not just a 4-drive stripe...

As for RAM... standard 32bit windows will only let an application use ~2GB of memory. If you add a switch to boot.ini, applications that are marked aware will be able to use up to 3GB, but not the last gig. Doesn't mean the memory is wasted though, just that a single application won't be able to use more then 2 (or 3) gigabytes.

ak_:
Well, i'm really pulling my hair out with this monitor thing. I've found this one for a good price but the review is one year old so maybe it's obsolete now. If anyone has information about this monitor, please let me know :)

nudone:
i'd try and get something that has 1000:1 contrast ratio - the model you've picked out has 800:1

i'd say that's one of the reasons why cheaper monitors look the way they do - just not enough contrast.

i've seen current monitors that are meant to be 3000:1 but when you look at the details they'll say 1000:1 and the higher figures are produced by some kind of trickery. i'll admit i've not seen one of these higher contrast monitors in action so i can't really offer a good opinion - it all seems a bit dubious when the figures are presented something like this 3000:1 (1000:1).

anyway, LCDs are pretty terrible at black as they just allow too much backlight to come through - but then it isn't too noticeable a lot of the time because of all the bright elements on screen - but it's almost unbearable when playing darkly lit games, i.e. doom3, fear, etc... probably not an issue for you.

tomos:
Well, i'm really pulling my hair out with this monitor thing. I've found this one for a good price but the review is one year old so maybe it's obsolete now. If anyone has information about this monitor, please let me know :)
-ak_ (August 22, 2007, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
a year old review is okay I reckon - unless you're going to pay loads of dosh you're prob not going to get the absolute current best..
the conclusion of review
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review-hp-lp2065-part13.html#Conclusion
doessound quite very good to me - apart from the direct sunlight warning -
depends where you'll be using it...

ak_:
Thanks Tomo for pointing out the sunlight warning, my pc is gonna be near a window so it's a problem. Anyway, i changed my mind about this monitor thing. Nudone is right, i need to get a screen with a good contrast ratio. So, considering the little money i have, i decided to chose image quality over size, and i think i'll go for a Samsung 971P. It's a 19" and it's quite expensive considering its size, but, according to reviews i read, it displays excellent colors and has a 1500:1 contrast ratio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version